lcd replacement for pro-84

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiczer

i need a new lcd for my pro-84. how do i get this done? uniden wants $70.00 to fix the radio.

bill fox

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Bill, actually, $70 to replace the LCD is not too bad of a price if you value your time at any appreciable amount. And especially if that LCD has any leads that have to be soldered in. Cheers! Dave

a417

That unit is frequently listed on the *bay for less than the price of the repair, and there is one that is Buy It Now of $49.99...does a repair make good financial sense?

K4EET

Chaplain
That unit is frequently listed on the *bay for less than the price of the repair, and there is one that is Buy It Now of $49.99...does a repair make good financial sense?
Only from the viewpoint that you know you will be getting a 100% checked out and aligned (if you asked them to to do that too) scanner for $20 more whereas on eBay you never quite know what you are getting...

a417

Only from the viewpoint that you know you will be getting a 100% checked out and aligned (if you asked them to to do that too) scanner for $20 more whereas on eBay you never quite know what you are getting...
And are you sure they're not going to charge for the "100% check and alignment" that you would be asking them to do, on top of a simple LCD replacement?

K4EET

Chaplain
And are you sure they're not going to charge for the "100% check and alignment" that you would be asking them to do, on top of a simple LCD replacement?
They didn't charge me when I had a similar repair done to a scanner... Doesn't hurt to ask.

a417

Unless that item has unusual intrinsic value, we are talking about a 10 y/o, branded, barebones, analog-only scanner with a broken LCD (and a quoted repair price that exceeds fair market value of a working unit).

Granted the OP can do what ever he wants with his hard earned money, I think it's only fair to keep him apprised that maybe a lateral transfer into another unit may be the best bang for his buck. In some cases a moderate upgrade of features in a newer unit available on the second hand market, that are still below his price quote for repairing his Nascar scanner, could be his best decision. There's even one the the *bay with accessories that the OP might not even have, or realize he needed...that could make a replacement the better decision.

The ball is in @wiczer's court. He's in a difficult spot and I'd hate to see him just throw money away when he could improve his situation slightly with some alternative ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.