lcd replacement for pro-84

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiczer

i need a new lcd for my pro-84. how do i get this done? uniden wants $70.00 to fix the radio.

bill fox

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Bill, actually, $70 to replace the LCD is not too bad of a price if you value your time at any appreciable amount. And especially if that LCD has any leads that have to be soldered in. Cheers! Dave

a417

U+0000
That unit is frequently listed on the *bay for less than the price of the repair, and there is one that is Buy It Now of $49.99...does a repair make good financial sense?

K4EET

Chaplain
That unit is frequently listed on the *bay for less than the price of the repair, and there is one that is Buy It Now of $49.99...does a repair make good financial sense?
Only from the viewpoint that you know you will be getting a 100% checked out and aligned (if you asked them to to do that too) scanner for $20 more whereas on eBay you never quite know what you are getting...

a417

U+0000
Only from the viewpoint that you know you will be getting a 100% checked out and aligned (if you asked them to to do that too) scanner for $20 more whereas on eBay you never quite know what you are getting...
And are you sure they're not going to charge for the "100% check and alignment" that you would be asking them to do, on top of a simple LCD replacement?

K4EET

Chaplain
And are you sure they're not going to charge for the "100% check and alignment" that you would be asking them to do, on top of a simple LCD replacement?
They didn't charge me when I had a similar repair done to a scanner... Doesn't hurt to ask.

a417

U+0000
Unless that item has unusual intrinsic value, we are talking about a 10 y/o, branded, barebones, analog-only scanner with a broken LCD (and a quoted repair price that exceeds fair market value of a working unit).

Granted the OP can do what ever he wants with his hard earned money, I think it's only fair to keep him apprised that maybe a lateral transfer into another unit may be the best bang for his buck. In some cases a moderate upgrade of features in a newer unit available on the second hand market, that are still below his price quote for repairing his Nascar scanner, could be his best decision. There's even one the the *bay with accessories that the OP might not even have, or realize he needed...that could make a replacement the better decision.

The ball is in @wiczer's court. He's in a difficult spot and I'd hate to see him just throw money away when he could improve his situation slightly with some alternative ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.