HP-1: LCN Finder how to......

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainrider

Two LTR Standard systems in Idaho with no talkgroups, White Cloud Communications and Intermountain Gas. In Sentinal, I created the systems as favorite lists, system type LTR, ID:Search on, created the different sites and put in the listed frequencies as well as the locations from the RR database. Next to the frequencies is the LCN column; do I leave them as 0's?

I go into the HomePatrol, Advanced, Analyze System. EDACS/LTR LCN Finder, I see the frequencies I input into the various sites, but no LCN's found so far. Just be patient? Let it search for a day? Did something wrong?

Thanks.

MStep

Two LTR Standard systems in Idaho with no talkgroups, White Cloud Communications and Intermountain Gas. In Sentinal, I created the systems as favorite lists, system type LTR, ID:Search on, created the different sites and put in the listed frequencies as well as the locations from the RR database. Next to the frequencies is the LCN column; do I leave them as 0's?

I go into the HomePatrol, Advanced, Analyze System. EDACS/LTR LCN Finder, I see the frequencies I input into the various sites, but no LCN's found so far. Just be patient? Let it search for a day? Did something wrong?

Thanks.

It's a little difficult for me to follow what you are saying, but I also have an HP1, so let me make a suggestion. Why don't you try using the LCN finder on a known and operating EDACS system. This will give you an idea of how the algorithms are set to work and what the results should be.

This experiment might in effect allow you to reverse engineer how the process works so that you can determine if you are providing the correct information to the HP1 to allow for results to occur.

On New York State Port Authority system, the entire process completes in about 5 - 10 minutes, depending on the system traffic.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the particular systems you are asking about, or someone with a bit more knowledge on the LCN finder, will help you with your problem, but I think seeing how it works on a known good system is one way to start learning. Good luck in your endeavors.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
One other: LCN finder will only work if there is traffic on the system.

D

DaveNF2G

LCN finding on EDACS is a bit simpler than on LTR. EDACS has a control channel that will provide LCN info when it gives channel grants (and in certain other circumstances). LTR channels sometimes announce their identity in some of their 'blips' but not always. Someone actually has to talk on each channel in the system before the full list of LCNs can be developed.

mountainrider

Why don't you try using the LCN finder on a known and operating EDACS system.

Yep, I see how it's supposed to work. I've seen that LCN's are found fairly quickly on known systems; that's why, on these systems with unknown talkgroups and no identified LCN's, it's necessary to build the system as a fav group, input the frequencies, analyze the system with LCN finder, and wait for eye candy. Seeing none, I expressed uncertainty that I had done the thing correctly. Seeing UPMan's response above reduces my uncertainty greatly and he probably nailed it - no activity.

MStep

Well you could program in all the frequencies into a favorites group as conventional channels, lock out any control channel, and simply monitor the frequencies for any voice activity. And incidentally, if there is so little to practically no activity on that system anyway, you could essentially monitor any activity just like that, as conventional channels. In essence, you could glean the same information being passed as if were set up as a trunked system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.