BCD325P2/BCD996P2: LCN's

btritch

Using the Uniden BCD996P2 is there a way I can locate the TG, RAN, and LCN information for a non encrypted nxdn trunked system?

My local group just started using one (leased tower space) and we were just wondering how to go about hearing it on the uniden scanner, but we have no information on it besides the frequencies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
If you buy the NXDN upgrade, you can get TG, and RAN. But the 996P2 which is just the upgraded 996XT does not have an LCN finder function. For that you would need an BCD436/536HP or the SDS100/200. Or you would have to feed the data via PC into DSD+

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Stupid question, but have you checked the Radio Reference database to see if the system details are shown there? And if this system isn't in the database, will you submit whatever you find for it?

Last edited:

btritch

Stupid question, but have you checked the Radio Reference database to see if the system details are shown there? And if this system isn't in the database, will you submit whatever you find for it?
I have. The way the system is set up is as a wide area network trunked system. The local tower that we're on isn't even in the database yet. I'll get them submitted tonight.
They're linked with the other towers.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
If you program in the NXDN frequencys conventionaly in a system and mark them digital , hold on the one there talking on and press F+6 it will go through mode1 tells you it's NXDN , mode2 tells you the "Ran" , but you have to find the LCN looking up the system here in your state on rr.com,....then program it as a NXDN system with the results,....this is how Uniden made the 996P2 series

btritch

Ok so I found the talkgroup and RAN. I'm still not hearing audio though. It's not encrypted so I'm Not sure I've got something programmed right yet but it is IDing the talkgroups without audio now.
I'll get what I have submitted.

btritch

Our radios don't indicate they're encrypted, however that is how it appears on a scanner. The TG shows up but there is no audio. Is it possible it could be encrypted in the repeater itself and not the radio?

btritch

Upon more investigation, the output of the radio isn't encrypted and works fine, but the ID out of the repeater is only an ID with no audio. I'm guessing it's encrypted within the repeater itself, if that's possible.

INDY72

If it is E, then enc will show up on the scanner screen and it will then skip that TG. DMR and NXDN TRS are notoriously hard to monitor unless the LCN's are correct for at least half of the freqs.

garys

Premium Subscriber
How many of those are there?

I'd suggest that using the table is a good place to start.

Not necessarily. Most NXDN based systems may use that band plan, however DFA (Direct Frequency Access) systems are certainly the exception to that rule.

INDY72

These two types of trunking are called NXDN Type-C and NXDN Type-D. Type-C uses a centralized control channel whereas Type-D does not use a control channel. C means Centralized Control D is Distributed Control.
NXDN C trunking uses a dedicated control channel, similar to the Motorola SmartNet/SmartZone systems where one channel is constantly running control channel data.
NXDN D trunking is the "LTR" like trunking system, where there is a "home" channel, etc.
There is good information here: NXDN Forum Website
Also see here: Next Generation Digital Narrowband (NXDN) - Signal Identification Wiki
Its similar to how MotoTRBO DMR does it with Connect Plus vs Capacity Plus. Con+ uses an CC, Cap+ is the LTR type.

When systems transition to digital from say an EDACS or SmartNet/SmartZone and chose NXDN they usually go with Type C. LTR would usually go to Type D. If they went DMR, it would be Connect Plus, and Capacity Plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

btritch

It's type C then in that case. It has a constant control channel. I just have to figure out the audio thing. I'll mess with it some more and see what I can figure out.

btritch

Ok, so it is Type C with a dedicated CC. I'm hearing our agency as well as a few others now. I had a setting off. I'll get everything (Talkgroups) submitted once the system I submitted gets listed.