LCRA Creedmoor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
So I recently plugged all the common use/itinerant frequencies back in to my scanner (I've been reading in the forums that hoodlums are using these to conduct "organized" crime).

Lately, nothin' but the usual business chatter (forklifts lift this, employee fold that) until last week.

I found some interesting traffic on a Common/Business Frequency. I have 936.6625MHz as a common frequency in my records- yet our db shows it as a frequency used for the LCRA system on a tower in Creedmoor, T. Co., also.

I was expecting to hear normal citizen chatter, but have heard fire tones, 28 checks and the like (further confirming it's being used by a PS agency) all in analog.

So my question is, since this is a common use freq. is it common that systems like this (LCRA specifically, but maybe other trunked systems) use these common frequencies?

Secondly, is there anyone closer to S. Austin that can confirm which agency is using this? Is it being simulcast from other T. Co. frequencies? I'm hearing traffic from the Stassney Ln. and MoPac indicating that it's coming from inside Austin proper (maybe a small suburb that uses the LCRA system?).

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
What talk group are you hearing this traffic on? Cap Metro Police and LCRA Rangers could be making stops on Mopac.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'm not hearing it on the LCRA system- sorry I should have been more clear.

I plugged all the common/business frequencies in to an older scanner and heard it pop up. When I heard what sounded like public safety organizations I looked into it a little more and see that 936.6625 is labeled as "900 MHz Common Low Power Simplex Operations" here:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Itinerant_and_Business

and as an LCRA Control Channel for Creedmoor (#07):
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=48

I was wondering if it was common for agencies to use these itinerant frequencies for their own use?

TXEMT

just curious are you hearing full conversations or just this one freq? and are the edacs beeps after and un-key of the mic?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'm really far away from this freq so it is random that I hear the full conversation, however, it is constantly being transmitted on. I'm plugging this freq in as a stand alone frequency in a non-trunking scanner to listen to it solely. I don't know that I would hear the EDACS beep if I'm using a non-trunking scanner and not trying to follow the conversation to another scanner. It's using the channel as I think it should sound- I hear one side of a conversation then nothing (meaning it rolled to another frequency in the LCRA system that I don't have plugged into this scanner). I'm not expecting to hear the whole conversation just wandering if I'm misunderstanding that any business would be allowed to use this freq?

My assumption is that ANY business is legally allowed to use the "900 MHz Common Low Power Simplex Operations" channels. Am I wrong? Is there something I'm not getting?

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
From what I understand ... If this frequency is a "common business frequency" it must still be licensed. If it is used as an itinerant frequency it can not interfere with and must accept all interference from the licensed user. The rules may have changed for that particular frequency. You would have to verify permitted usages in the current regs.

47 CFR 90 Subpart S set out the rules for this frequency. A quick review of that subpart shows no authorized use as low power simplex or itinerant.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...n=div6&view=text&node=47:5.0.1.1.3.18&idno=47

Russell

Last edited:

pacrat551

TX Admin
Database Admin
If you are hearing Fire dept tones, you are just hearing the traffic from the Creedmoor site. You may or may not hear the EDACS beeps. I have noticed around here (San Marcos, Creedmoor, Etc) a lot of the freqs don't have the beeps anymore. I'm not sure what that is all about but they are not there. I don't start picking up the beeps until I head out further east (Flatonia, Columbus, etc)

San Marcos Fire, EMS, and Hays county simulcast fire tones over the LCRA system as well as 154.385 for East Hays fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.