LCRA moving to OpenSky

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcolgan

Premium Subscriber
LCRA will begin testing OpenSky. No details available. Listen to the LCRA system while you can.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Can you provide any details on this? Specifically any links to announcements or contract requests, etc. would be helpful.

N

N_Jay

As another member on here put it to me(I had the exact thought) this morning: Good luck getting it to work in the hill country.

Why would expect it to be significantly different than the 900 MHz that they have been using since 1997?

tcolgan

Premium Subscriber
LCRA moving to OpenSky - Part II

As I wrote, I have no details. I do, however, have a reliable source. She or he shall remain nameless.

Someone who monitors LCRA -- I don't -- may be able to suggest some talkgroups such as Radio Testing to keep an eye/ear on.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Why would expect it to be significantly different than the 900 MHz that they have been using since 1997?

Have you been around experiencing it N_Jay? What more insight can you provide oh please?

I think it would probably do well in the Coastal Plains where about half of LCRA is. Up here past the Balcones Escarpment it might have a bit more trouble in the lower valleys between some hills. If they are choosing it, more power to them. Of course, like any smart consumer, I'd bet they're shopping the whole market.

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Premium Subscriber
I have heard that much of the middle gulf coast and central Texas is looking at sharing the LCRA system for Public Safety use. This wouls link Corpus-Kingsville to Houston to Austin to San Antonio. LCRS is expanding their system down here due to all their wind generating stations. This is all part of the future 700mhz inter op system. I did not hear that it was going to be Open Sky. (I do not doubt your source.)
I know at one time the state of Pennsylvia had an Open Sky system that was nothing but trouble.

davidbond21

I know at one time the state of Pennsylvia had an Open Sky system that was nothing but trouble.

That's what I had in mind when I made my original comment.

How exactly do they go about testing something of this nature though? Do they build out a limited system to put it through performance testing to see if it will be viable or what? I'm just curious.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber

Not to mention New York's problems. There statewide TRS was originally valued at $2 billion by Tyco. The LCRA TRS could easily cover half the area of New York state (so through interpolation, can be expected to be approximately $1bn).

I also wonder how they go about testing viability of such a WACN.

Status
Not open for further replies.