LDG 1000 Pro II odd occurrence is normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I found that once you train the tuner to your antenna, and you then improve your antenna, so you SWR goes from 3:1 to 1.5:1 on a particular band, the tuner will not be triggered into tuning on a frequency that it already has in memory. So you will see your SWR is higher than you know it should be, and for the best tune you will have to force a re-tune on every frequency you have locked into the tuners memory.

LDG support could not understand why I wanted to know if I could wipe all memory at one time. They think it works well the way it is, but they didn't consider that the tuner would be used on more than one antenna, or that a Ham would improve their antenna at some point.

The trouble is that the tuner has two things it looks at, one is the SWR, and the other is the memory at that particular frequency. If the memory shows that the frequency was tuned, and it pulled a 4:1 down to 2.5:1, when you modify your antenna to improve that SWR, the tuner will give you 2.5:1 until you force it to tune again. The only way to get it to tune again on its own is the make the antenna worse, and drive the SWR up over the threshold of what the tuner is programmed as safe.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Sounds like a short-sighted design to me. There should be a means of wiping out the tuner memories so the tuner will re-learn the tuning parameters.

Is there any mention of this on the unit's "reviews" on eHam.net?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
If you had a master reset you are forced to retune anyway.

Each of the two antenna ports on the back will have data stored for that specific antenna connected to #1 or #2.

Manual full retune over-rides and updates memory tune data. Just a button push away.

You can lower the threshold set point, but setting to low and its possible to get false SWR faults and tuner starts full retune in the middle of a SSB phone conversation.

Regardless of tuner (manual w/ cranks or auto) antenna system change for better or worst. Earlier this week it rained and my setting all go to crap when it does. Retune as needed when wet. Retune when it dries out like today.

Improving your antenna is different as it permanent for the better. Quicker than you realize you will have it matched, until it rains. :D

I found that once you train the tuner to your antenna, and you then improve your antenna, so you SWR goes from 3:1 to 1.5:1 on a particular band, the tuner will not be triggered into tuning on a frequency that it already has in memory. So you will see your SWR is higher than you know it should be, and for the best tune you will have to force a re-tune on every frequency you have locked into the tuners memory.

LDG support could not understand why I wanted to know if I could wipe all memory at one time. They think it works well the way it is, but they didn't consider that the tuner would be used on more than one antenna, or that a Ham would improve their antenna at some point.

The trouble is that the tuner has two things it looks at, one is the SWR, and the other is the memory at that particular frequency. If the memory shows that the frequency was tuned, and it pulled a 4:1 down to 2.5:1, when you modify your antenna to improve that SWR, the tuner will give you 2.5:1 until you force it to tune again. The only way to get it to tune again on its own is the make the antenna worse, and drive the SWR up over the threshold of what the tuner is programmed as safe.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I can only set the tuner to tune if the SWR is 1.7. I guess that is reasonable for what you pointed out. If the antenna gets wet, it will cause the tuner to work too hard because it will tune, and then when it dries out, tune again. That makes sense.
I'm not sure if the manual said anything about have separate memories for each antenna connection, but if it did, why not setup a good antenna switch that only switches what port your antenna is on. Have a wet side and a dry side.

I must be being too critical of this fine product. LDG does make a nice tuner. Lot's of hams love them, but then there a lot who hate them.

RBMTS

I seem to remember that there is a button-press/start procedure that would reset the LDG tuners (thus erasing any memory presets). I'll have to see if I can find it.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I believe what you will find is seasonal variation and weather conditions that the L and C combination change sometime a little and other times a lot. Your setup may be very consistent, while mine is not.

Don't over think it. Just see what you have to work with as you move thru the year. That one touch tuning make it easy to adjust and update on the fly.

snip... why not setup a good antenna switch that only switches what port your antenna is on. Have a wet side and a dry side.

I must be being too critical

snip...

Status
Not open for further replies.