Learned something new at the air show today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my trusty, so far, Uniden 396t out to the air show today. The Thunderbirds were in town. The stock antenna is just not good for the mil air freqs they were using. When they were all in front of us on the ground around 200 yards away all was good. I could hear the commander clearly. Once they were airborne I had a devil of a time hearing. Lots of static and very week reception. I wasnt even scanning I had it held on the channel they were using.

Does any one have a suggestion for an antenna I could use for better reception for my next air show?

nexus

Were you monitoring them with AM mode instead of FM mode? They use AM on the military frequencies like 14X.XXX mHz freqs.

brandon

Database Admin
Thunderbirds use AM mode for their comms.
Most scanners default to FM their freqs such as 141.850 and 143.850 so make sure you change the mode over to AM.

RolnCode3

Damn, I forgot the airshow was Sat & Sun. Probably won't make it up to Marysville...was it a good show? Sorry to hear your comms monitoring wasn't what you were hoping.

I tried listening to the BA when they were at Mather, but I was using my Pro-96 with unlocked ranges, and it just wasn't happening. Hopefully you'll be able to find a better solution.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I saw the Blue Angels last weekend at Jones Beach on Long Island.I took my BR330t and my Pro95.
The 330 was programmed with a ton of freqs.The banks I used were set to auto and the comms I
heard came up am.There was like 1 or 2 fm also. I was at the air show on Saturday and
the airport on Sunday.I used the 800 MHz ant from Radio Shack on the 330 and the stock ant
on the Pro95.As seen in the pick the air show was 11 mils (line of sight)from the airport.
While at the airport on Sunday I could hear the planes in the air at the show.
I was impressed with the reception on the uniden

map1.jpg

Last edited:

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
They were in Altus, OK a few weeks ago and I heard them all the way up here in Elk City, about 50 miles to my south. Excellent reception!

Jim

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Dave and all,

I learned something too, there's a Short Beach Island off the north shore while we have Long Beach Island (the main barrier island) off the NJ coast. Thanks for the map, I never noticed it before.

Dang, missed it! Only a hop skip and a jump by train and I missed it!

Here's one for the Marines, semper fi and a big fat hey hey HEY!

Post edit;
Since the file name isn't displayed this baby is called Fat Albert.

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Sacramento_Bill said:
I took my trusty, so far, Uniden 396t out to the air show today. The Thunderbirds were in town. The stock antenna is just not good for the mil air freqs they were using. When they were all in front of us on the ground around 200 yards away all was good. I could hear the commander clearly. Once they were airborne I had a devil of a time hearing. Lots of static and very week reception. I wasnt even scanning I had it held on the channel they were using.

Does any one have a suggestion for an antenna I could use for better reception for my next air show?

Too bad you didn't take my profile:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37970

...and in the California section, there is another profile for Beale AFB. You can PM me if you have questions.

fyi, Thunderbirds were on 143.85(AM)/Diamond and 235.25(AM)/Solos

DredMLM

Mil Air listening

Hi,
I have 2 great military monitoring antennas. Watson W-901 Air Gainer and a Maldol UHF/VHF airband antenna. Not cheap, but the Watson (I have 3) has proven itself for the past 2 or 3 years and I just bought the Maldol a few weeks ago. It worked great in Florida listening to F-16's out over the ocean. It is VERY long, however, while the Watson is more of a standard "rubber duckie" size. I am very happy with both models.
Craig
Watervliet NY

Status
Not open for further replies.