learned something on air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
hi...k only few months old,made "some" contacts. even japan! im using ic 5100a...anyway...so i registered to d-star,im in on a repeater here in north jersey, fun!. but now a NEW CONTACT tells me i need a DMR ID number? okay so got it at radioid.net .....nobody mentioned this before on the air. i was told instead of a zero on there end it should show my dmr id and callsign when i transmit. btw contact that told me this was on hotspot.

txs in advance all...learning. kd2two 73

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the contact was using DMR on his end and your are using DStar. It is possible to 'cross-over' depending on the reflectors in use. DMR ID number is used on DMR radios, repeaters and reflectors to facilitate who is talking if the information is loaded into the DMR radio. The DMR number is part of the voice data stream on DMR radios. Callsign, name and location can be displayed on the received radio, but is done by matching the DMR number to the loaded database in the radio. It is not to be used as a substitute for your voiced callsign. If you are using DStar there is no place in the data stream for your DMR number if you have one. I would tell the other person you are using a DStar radio if that is the case and let him figure it out. If I have this wrong I am sure someone will come along and correct me. :cool:
73, Mike KE5MC

P.S. If you have your DMR number you are ready to buy that next radio (DMR).

K4EET

Chaplain
Sounds like the contact was using DMR on his end and your are using DStar. It is possible to 'cross-over' depending on the reflectors in use. DMR ID number is used on DMR radios, repeaters and reflectors to facilitate who is talking if the information is loaded into the DMR radio. The DMR number is part of the voice data stream on DMR radios. Callsign, name and location can be displayed on the received radio, but is done by matching the DMR number to the loaded database in the radio. It is not to be used as a substitute for your voiced callsign. If you are using DStar there is no place in the data stream for your DMR number if you have one. I would tell the other person you are using a DStar radio if that is the case and let him figure it out. If I have this wrong I am sure someone will come along and correct me. :cool:
73, Mike KE5MC

P.S. If you have your DMR number you are ready to buy that next radio (DMR).

Hi @KE5MC, I have a D-STAR radio (Kenwood TH-D74A) and a System Fusion radio (Yaesu FT3DR) that were both donated to me plus I have a DMR ID but no DMR HT (yet). I am 99.997% sure that what you said was 99.997% correct. You would have been 100% correct IMHO had you said at the end:

@Aircargo : "P.S. Since [not if] you have your DMR number you are ready to buy that next radio (DMR)." :ROFLMAO:

They said "...okay so got it [the DMR ID] at radioid.net" which is the one-and-only website to get a DMR ID. So yes, they aparently already have a DMR ID. So they, like me, have a DMR radio as the next piece of ham gear in their future! Right @Aircargo ? :eek: :oops: :ROFLMAO:

73 all, Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.