Learning new digital/analogue scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

radchuck03

Premium Subscriber
This thread does not apply to most of you who own digital scanners, only to those that are frustrated and fed up with their scanners. It took me months to figure out how to program and operate my new digital scanners, much to my own impatience and misery to get it up and running. I sincerely believe the KEY to learning the scanners requires insurmountable patience and willingness to learn. The glory days of buying the unit, taking it home and opening it and get it up and running within 5-10 minutes are basically long gone! Since most digital scanner manuals are too complicated to understand for the average Joe to learn, I recommend that you take other routes to learn that are much easier. You Tube, was one of the quickest ways I learned how to program my RS Pro-106. Their are very instructional videos on that unit, that kept me from running it back to the store and demanding my money back. Another useful way of getting them up and running is the software route. I use FREE SCAN to help program my Uniden 396XT, when all else failed! The drawback ... paying extra money to get there. Radio Reference is helpful as well, since some members explain how to program it as well. There are sites like Scanner Master that have "easier to learn" manuals that are easier to understand than the booklets that come with the scanner. Some electronics stores have reps or even customers that will teach and/or program it for free as well. I now own 4 digital/analogue scanners, and several conventional scanners I have purchased recently and over time, and enjoy listening more than ever! Hope this helps!!

Nasby

For sure this is not 1985 when you could simply press a few buttons and program your favorite police or fire agency.

Times have changed. But with some patience, an open mind and great sites like this, scanning can be as enjoyable as ever! Plus, there is no disputing that the new digital systems sound soooo much better than the analog systems.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Very true. . .

I remember back when you wanted to telephone somebody, you went to your landline phone and rotary dialed their number. Back then if you used words like Text Messaging, e-mail, Google, Facetime and apps, folks might throw a net over you.

Probably ten years from now scanner enthusiasts will wish things were as simple as they were in 2014.

storm777

Premium Subscriber
Very good advice, @radchuck03. I've been scanning since the early '70s (my first was a Realistic Pro-7) and my first few minutes with my 396xt made me feel like a deer in the headlights. Like you said, patience is the key. Take time to research and read thoroughly and ask questions. Ask lots of questions. Lots of good people here willing to help.

radchuck03

Premium Subscriber
Learning New scanners (con't)

Thanks! If and when I discover new and easier ways to program these units, I will pass it along! Its a fun hobby that I have had since a child. I just wish GRE had not gone out of business, now Uniden can charge anything they want for new scanners since they are about the only one still in business selling new scanners. I heard Whisler group took over their assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.