Leave scanner scanning air/mil-air bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Do you allow feeds to just run in open mode, scanning a frequency range, or do they have to be set to certain frequencies only? I was thinking of setting up a feed that just scans the standard air and mil-air bands and whatever it catches, it broadcasts.

Another option would be to “channelize” the frequencies so common and locally used ones found be tagged.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
See our feed provider terms of service

Open Mode Mil-Air Scanning wouldn't be allowed.

You could certainly setup a channelized scan for ATC Aircraft traffic...

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
So mil-air isn’t allowed because it’s military then? I don’t live near a airport with any ATC. Can I do open mode civilian air then?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
If it's air traffic control it's fine, military or not.

However, there isn't going to be much of an audience that would listen to an open mode radio. You are better off targeting a specific airport, ARTCC etc instead of just a randomly scanning radio.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
If it's air traffic control it's fine, military or not.

However, there isn't going to be much of an audience that would listen to an open mode radio. You are better off targeting a specific airport, ARTCC etc instead of just a randomly scanning radio.

one idea I had was to program in that stuff as well with tags and then the rest of the band would just be in there because you never know what you may hear from time to time. I’m in the smack dab of California so there are planes above me all the time.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have two dedicated scanners for mil air-to-air and I use a third just to sweep 225-400. There is plenty of chatter here in California during the day, but it is so quick, multiple receivers are needed or one would miss quite a bit. The scanners do not overlap coverage for a better chance at catching something.

As for listening to ATC, military or civilian, I have them programmed in but do not scan them. I found it a bit routine/boring versus other A-to-A chatter I could be listening to. Being in Kings County you should be able to pick up Lemoore ATC. I also monitor 121.5 MHz and that's pretty boring as well, fortunately. Usually just the "Guaaaarrrd" replies when another pilot TX mistakenly.

Based on the terms I would not think that streaming mil ATC would be okay, but if Blanton says its fine, there you go.

* See you at the Lemoore Airshow in September if you go.

Last edited:

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I have two dedicated scanners for mil air-to-air and I use a third just to sweep 225-400. There is plenty of chatter here in California during the day, but it is so quick, multiple receivers are needed or one would miss quite a bit. The scanners do not overlap coverage for a better chance at catching something.

As for listening to ATC, military or civilian, I have them programmed in but do not scan them. I found it a bit routine/boring versus other A-to-A chatter I could be listening to. Being in Kings County you should be able to pick up Lemoore ATC. I also monitor 121.5 MHz and that's pretty boring as well, fortunately. Usually just the "Guaaaarrrd" replies when another pilot TX mistakenly.

yeah, Lemoore is pretty chatty most of the time. If I’m working out by the base, I’ll turn on my scanlist for them and hear all kinds of stuff. I might be tempted to do a stereo feed, with known stuff like the base as the primary with tags, then the other side would just be a sweep for anything else.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Streaming military base communications is not acceptable based on the terms of service Blanton noted. If someone wants to listen to them, an inexpensive scanner will easily monitor the frequencies, should they be in the nearby area. I'm 50 miles away and I hear stuff even with my mobile setup.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Streaming military base communications is not acceptable based on the terms of service Blanton noted. If someone wants to listen to them, an inexpensive scanner will easily monitor the frequencies, should they be in the nearby area. I'm 50 miles away and I hear stuff even with my mobile setup.

they said above it’s ok. I believe mil-air is ok, not military ground stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.