Leavenworth Police Dept to be encrypted soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavinman

The Leavenworth Times is reporting that the Leavenworth Police Department is going to start broadcasting encrypted soon.

Leavenworth Police Chief Pat Kitchens said the purchase is in response to a mandate through the Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System.

Here's a link to the article but I think you need a subscription to read the whole thing:

KG7PBS

The Leavenworth Times is reporting that the Leavenworth Police Department is going to start broadcasting encrypted soon.

Leavenworth Police Chief Pat Kitchens said the purchase is in response to a mandate through the Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System.

Here's a link to the article but I think you need a subscription to read the whole thing:

so can you log in and click and past what is said. we wont have to pay to see your post thanks

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Saw many an encryption article, same old story... Growing trend countrywide due to turbulent times amongst law enforcement & the public, blah blah blah...millions spent...state of the art...yadda yadda yadda, say hello to R2D2. My condolences to the scanner-listening tax base who unwantedly funded it, welcome to the "big-E" club

nosig55

This seems strange, LVPD is on KSICS along with Sheriff and KHP. They would have to join MARRS. Wonder if LVSO will "E" also. They have come a long way from the days of one channel on 39.58.

gavinman

This seems strange, LVPD is on KSICS along with Sheriff and KHP. They would have to join MARRS. Wonder if LVSO will "E" also. They have come a long way from the days of one channel on 39.58.

I hope not but I'll bet it's coming sooner or later.

nosig55

Considering Wyandotte county is all "E" doesn't surprise me. I listen to Platte county as there seems to be more action across the river sometimes and they will probably flip the switch also.
What I don't understand is the " mandate from MARRS ".

bctrainers

Considering Wyandotte county is all "E" doesn't surprise me. I listen to Platte county as there seems to be more action across the river sometimes and they will probably flip the switch also.
If there's a mandate for new users added to the system to be AES Encrypted, that's news to me. I assume they meant that they'll have the capability to encrypt talkgroups as on-demand, partially, or fully.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber

Platte County Sheriff's Office will be moving to full encryption. New radios have been rolled out and they're working with KCPD on an agreement to share encryption keys. This info came from a very credible source. No firm timeline has been established. Not sure what the plans are for the Clay County agencies. Pleasant Valley just upgraded their radios. Not sure if they're going to full encryption or if they upgraded to have interoperability with KCPD.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
If there's a mandate for new users added to the system to be AES Encrypted, that's news to me. I assume they meant that they'll have the capability to encrypt talkgroups as on-demand, partially, or fully.

There was a DHS memo issued a few years ago strongly recommending that law enforcement agencies who use P25 to add AES or upgrade if they used ADP/DES encryption. There was nothing in the memo that directed or mandated law enforcement agencies to use full encryption. It was simply a recommendation that agencies add the AES encryption capability to their radios.

nosig55

Platte County Sheriff's Office will be moving to full encryption. New radios have been rolled out and they're working with KCPD on an agreement to share encryption keys. This info came from a very credible source. No firm timeline has been established. Not sure what the plans are for the Clay County agencies. Pleasant Valley just upgraded their radios. Not sure if they're going to full encryption or if they upgraded to have interoperability with KCPD.
Thanks for the info, bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.