• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Leaving portable in charger and on 24/7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any issues with having a Harris portable in the Harris desk charger turned on 24/7?
I recently started doing this (extra portable left at my desk) and wonder if there is any risk of overheat. I'm thinking being all Harris branded items, the QC and design of the items should be able to handle that use...I'm assuming lots of portables live on desks in chargers all the time.
Specifically an XG-75 with a Harris Lithium Ion battery. After a couple of days, I just checked and the battery isn't even warm. Most of the time, the charger is indicating top-off.

I worry about batteries overheating and melting, but hopefully that is lower quality stuff :)

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Generically speaking, I typically unplug chargers and wall warts that aren't actively charging or powering devices.
I normally do (my chargers are on a switchable outlet strip), but in this case the radio is turned on 24/7, in the charger. So unless I want to cycle the charger power with a timer every 8-12 hours, I need to leave it plugged in.

K2NEC

I normally do (my chargers are on a switchable outlet strip), but in this case the radio is turned on 24/7, in the charger. So unless I want to cycle the charger power with a timer every 8-12 hours, I need to leave it plugged in.
You are aware that this will kill your battery right? I have seen Harris batteries explode and catch fire because they were left in the charger under similar circumstances. PLEASE be careful doing this.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
No don't do it. I once got three LPE-200 radios that were all by their ID tags radios assigned to schools in my county. They were the emergency radios to be used to directly summon help from the sheriff's department. They were left turned on 24/7 and the batteries eventually failed, swelled up, and corroded to the point that the contact assemblies on the PC boards had to be replaced for the radios to be usable again.

Just do not do this. Charge the radio, take the radio out of the charger, use the radio. If you need continuous monitoring, get a suitable mobile radio and put it together with a base station kit. (Power supply, antenna, microphone if needed.)

pb_lonny

Just do not do this. Charge the radio, take the radio out of the charger, use the radio. If you need continuous monitoring, get a suitable mobile radio and put it together with a base station kit. (Power supply, antenna, microphone if needed.)

Spot on, I saw some EDACS radios that died due to being run like this.

K2NEC

Spot on, I saw some EDACS radios that died due to being run like this.
I saw a P7300 catch fire in the charger because the EMS guys decided to just throw it in the charger and never take it out.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Even if your battery never explodes or bursts into flames, you will install a 'memory' into it and get only a few minutes out of it before it dies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Yikes! I would have figured the Li-Ion batteries did not have the memory effect and Harris chargers wouldn't allow charging to the point of battery swelling/kaboom. Some of the radios described in posts above are/could be older models, so they might have been NiCd or NiMH, but I will avoid the chance anyway :)
I think I'll get a DC battery eliminator and put it on a power supply!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm surprised to hear of radio chargers exploding into flames because a user keeps a radio on while in the charger. Sure it's bad for the battery, but to explode into a combustion source? The way consumers are with things like cellular and cordless telephones, they are "taught" to keep the device on charge between uses.
It seems logical that a manufacturer would at least design their products to not explode whenever possible. For the record, out of the 6 THOUSAND or so XTS2500/5000, APX4000,6000,7000 and 8000 radios on my system, many of which are operated (against instructions and good advice of us at the radio support division at my agency) in the manner described, not ONE has incinerated anything, let out smoke, or failed catastrophically resulting in a fire.

Sounds like a poor charger/battery design. How did they get a "UL" mark if they are so easy to put into a hazardous condition just by leaving a radio powered on while charging?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, I agree, had a crap-load of Motorolas and then replaced with a bunch of Kenwood's, and never saw any leakage, fire, explosions, etc.

What I've found is that some cheap trickle type chargers have enough current to charge the battery -or- run the radio in RX only, but not both. That usually resulted in the radio eventually shutting down and the user complaining. Had a few users that would leave the radio like that and in pure laziness, leave the radio in the charger, key it up and yell in the general direction of the radio. Same issues, battery wouldn't charge/radio would bonk, I'd get blamed for "cheap radios, cheap chargers, cheap batteries" and then usually followed up by "You always provided us with free replacement batteries!" - not.

I moved most of those users to a mobile radio with power supply and a base mic. In the long run it costs the same or a bit less than battery/charger replacements.

As for overheating...
Most modern battery/charger setups I've seen include a temperature sensor inside the battery that would feed back to the charger to control charging.

merlin

Most chargers are the rapid charge type, made to bring near dead battery's up full in a few hours, then they revert to a trickle of about 200 Ma charge current. This is hard on the battery if left over 24 hours and will shorten the life.
Your battery will last longer just going to full charge then off charge. the radio on 24/7 just means a periodic recharge.
Get your hands on a battery test adapter for the radio, I made one of a defunct battery and run the radio from an 8.5 V 3 amp power source.
No more burned up battery's.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
you would be better off finding a battery elimenater for that radio or get a spare battery and remove the batteries and wire in a cigerator lighter plug to replace the batteries allowing you to do what you want.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I thought all these problem went away a long time ago with the discontinued use of NiCad batteries. If all these claims are true it sounds like the radio manufactures are way behind in the design and safety factors in their chargers.

a417

U+0000
And we cannot ignore "stupid user tricks".
cutting the wallwart wire and attaching them to the radio-battery terminals, as a battery eliminator, would be an example of just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.