Lee County advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barryr

As a "Winter snow bird" resident of Lee County (Fort Myers) FL, I am interested in purchasing a new (and my first) scanner. Some research has suggested that the GRE - PSR-500 should be my choice. I would have the selling company program it for me. The question is: is this level of scanner (digital / trunked) scanner necessary for Lee County? Thanks for your advice!

Barry

jack3726

Unless you plan on using this scanner where your other 6 monthing it and it is heavy into digital I would probably not spend the money on it. You can probably get buy with an in-expensive solution to listen to LEE County the way it is setup today. If they are scrambling and TG's you won't hear them anyways.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Lee Co will be rebanding soon. So... you'll need a scanner capable of the rebanding narrower frequencies. Also... there is talk that portions of the Lee Co system will go digital. Digital doesn't necessarily mean scrambled. Currently Lee Co is a Motorola trunked 800 type II system. If they go digital... most likely they will go APCO25. Here is a link to the newspaper article about going digital Live Scanner Radio From Ft. Myers, FL

sjlamb

Get a digital... you're gonna need it sooner than later. PSR-500 (same as Radio Shack Pro-106) or Uniden BCD-396XT are the way to go if you want a handheld. Rebanded systems are not an issue for either unit and will provide service on systems throughout SW Florida... and beyond.

Last edited:

gcr33

If you are not the type to program systems and want a radio with the capacity to keep your Northern systems and your Florida systems try a 396XT. Digital APCO 25 already there.
Pricey yes works fine yes. You can use a program called FREESCAN to program it. There is a learning curve. Freescan is free. Perhaps someone near you can help with it. Check the prices on the web of course the advertisers on Radio Reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.