Lee County FL has rebanded this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Lee County (Fort Myers) rebanded this week. This is not the same system as the Cape Coral P25. If your scanner is silent... program your control channels 15 Mhz lower and then change the trunking table to "rebanded". I've only been listening for a few hours and it looks like the TG's have not changed. I program the newsroom scanners for WINK TV and did all their radios tonight. Of course... you have to have a scanner capable of rebanding. Also best to install the latest firmware updates. I'll include a couple of pics from the WIN500 software.

Last edited:

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
That's great firesq26... glad I was able to help! For those of you that don't have a new scanner capable of "rebanding" the trunking... all is not lost. Take all the old 800 Mhz trunking frequencies and subtract 15 Mhz. Then enter the results as convention frequencies. As soon as you start the scan... one of the frequencies will have the "buzz buzz buzz" control channel sound. Lock that one out. Then... you'll still be able to listen to the talk frequencies... but you won't have any control over what services and of course you won't be able to see a talk group number. Police, fire, EMS and the rest will be mixed. I'd also suggest that you NOT use the "delay" option. Sooner or later... the control channel will change. Lock it out again... but don't forget to put the first control channel you locked out back into the scan list. I just did an old PRO2053 like this and it works pretty good! :)

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the Updated Info

K4IHS, Thanks for all your very informative help on these forums for people like me.

Any ideas on what the settings would be for a Uniden Bearcat BCD996T?

I've been running Freescan without any issues for the two years or so since ScanControl stopped updating and suporting their paid software.

I updated the firmware and located the setting for "Rebanding" and I loaded the the 4 Control Channels listed but I don't find a setting for the Trunking Tables?

With all the changes, I still don't receive the trunked channels. The APCO 25 channels are working fine, for the Cape FD as the PD is encrypted and I locked them out.

Thanks in advance,

BigMike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are running the latest firmware for the 996, and an up to date version of FreeScan, take a look at this article - in the Rebanding Support section...

Freescan Create Site - The RadioReference Wiki

There's a pic of the site screen with the values filled in. Either download from the database (in which case FS will auto populate, as long as the rebanded flag has been turned on in the database) or you will need to enter the values manually

best regards..Mike

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ka3jjz. I hope that helps dixieboyfl. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to Uniden scanners or the software to program them.

Last edited:

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the links and suggestions. I tried them all and so far, my scanner is still quiet other than the APCO open freqs.

Guess I'll have to wait for someone more adept at these things than I am to figure it out.

Thanks Again,

BigMike

crhoads

Did you already set the custom band plan for the re-banded system?

Band Plan / Base Freq (Lower) / Base Freq (Upper) / Offset / Polarity / Spacing
1 / 851.0250MHz / 854.0000MHz / 440 / + / 25 kHz
2 / 851.0125MHz / 868.9875MHz / 0 / + / 25 kHz

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
Did you already set the custom band plan for the re-banded system?

Band Plan / Base Freq (Lower) / Base Freq (Upper) / Offset / Polarity / Spacing
1 / 851.0250MHz / 854.0000MHz / 440 / + / 25 kHz
2 / 851.0125MHz / 868.9875MHz / 0 / + / 25 kHz

Yes, I manually entered the 4 control channels and the above info into the proper areas.

Still quiet other than APCO channels ????????

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As shown in the FreeScan link I gave earlier, you must set the site type to Mot Custom/Reband for this to work. If you don't see this option, you need to update the firmware. Look at the very bottom of the FreeScan article. I don't know what the keystrokes are to check the firmware version, but I suspect they'd be similar to the 396T - and we have those documented here...

Uniden scanner test modes - The RadioReference Wiki

Updating the firmware is a royal PITA but a necessary one to get the rebanding support. You can find out what the latest releases are by looking at the table, then following the link to the Uniden TWiki site documented here..

Updating the Firmware in the Uniden DMA Scanners- the RR wiki

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike,

I updated the firmware yesterday to ver 3.02.00 which is the latest firmware update available and it did allow me the option for custom/rebanding choices.

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're still having problems, take your .996 file, zip (compress) it using one of the popular utilities, attach it to a message and let others take a look at it. More often than not, it's something simple...best regards..Mike

kd4nfs

bct996 lee county file

has anyone gotten a uniden bcd996 to work on the new rebanded system in lee county florida?
ive tried every setting, worked all evening and i hear nothing...
suggestions?
im using the uniden software that you can downlaod from the uniden site.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The UASD (which is, I think, what you're talking about) hasn't been updated in a long time and won't handle rebanding. You should use one of the free tools, such as FreeScan - very well supported and quite popular.

best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
dixie - I have to head off to work; can you clearly hear a motorboating type sound on at least 1 of the frequencies? If not, you can't trunk it. And I would also turn on the control channel only optioin just for winks.

If you can't hear that motorboating, then either the system has changed its antenna or power configuration or there's more frequencies on that system than the database currently has. Gotta run....best regards...Mike

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded Freescan and then imported the dixieboyfl file. Yikes... that is waaaay different then the Rat Shack and WIN500 setup. Is this the portion of the setup screen that you guys think is still wrong?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That is the screen where you enter (or FS adjusts, if you use the database) the custom table. I don't believe that's the issue, however. If you go to the very bottom of this wiki article from Uniden

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCD996TFirmwareUpdate

The values entered are fine. The polarity is also correct - having no plus or minus sign in the offset sets it up as positive, according to the user guide. I'm thinking it's a setting somewhere; another possibility here is that Lee is testing the rebanded frequencies, but not yet actually made the move. Someone might have jumped the gun a little here. The easy way to tell, assuming there's no CC on any of the 4 channels listed in the database, would be to add 15 mhz to them and see what you hear.

It might well be the control channel only option - on a P25 system, this is the default - but the Lee rebanded system isn't, so you would need to specify it in order to use it.

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz... Lee has rebanded... no question. This is not a test. The old analog control channels are quiet and so are the old talk channel frequencies. Please go back and read the first couple of posts in this thread. It took awhile to get my Rat Shaack scanners to work again. It wouldn't work by just changing the control frequencies. The scanner would look ok... and even show the TG being used... but no audio. After I changed the "trunking table"... all was well again. I think the control channel is telling the Uniden scanner to switch to a voice channel... but now that they are rebanded... it's the wrong voice channel.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Very good -- that increases my suspicion that it's an option that needs to be turned on. Control channel only is obvious, considering that's the only list of freqs found in the database.

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.