Lee County going digital encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I was listening to some amateur radio guys talking today and one said next year all Lee County radio traffic will be digital and encrypted...first I've heard of this & since a lot of what I hear on ham repeaters is myths, I figured I'd post here to find out the real deal...

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I hope not!

Because if they do then everybody they have mutual aid agreements with will need to have radios programmed in order to communicate with them.

That means added cost. Face it not many low budget agencies don't have that kind of money to spend unless they luck up and get a federal grant.

Most departments that do get a grant spend it for staffing, building a new station or other equipment purchases.

Sure I can see Law Enforcement being Encrypted.

Why would you want to waste money to Encrypt Fire, EMS, and Rescue with the exception of maybe hospital encode reports.

I don't believe anything till it happens.

Just my thoughts

David

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I travel down to Lee/Harnett once or twice a month and just to think, I havent been down there lately to hear any VIPER traffic but there going to go encrypted on their VIPER TG's?

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I guess it is going to be the way of the future.

Lee County is funny, and I don't mean that to sound bad.

I know at one time a few years back Carolinas Fire Page listed the fire station address for the county and the former EM director had a fit because of security concerns.

So finally the good folks at Carolinas Fire Pager removed the addresses per his request.

It is not that hard to do a Google or Yahoo search and find just about any fire station address you are looking for.

Like I said, in another post it is getting to be monitoring for a hobby is becoming a thing of the past.

Scanner monitoring is getting to be just like the right to bear arms. It is soon going to be illegal to do both.

Just my thoughts

David

Last edited:

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Well said David, I sadly must agree...I keep waiting for the manufacturers to make a scanner to receive Ericcson, Pro-Voice, other current technologies but I at this point don't think it's going to happen. I don't think the government will allow them to. I'm thinking in the next 5 years I'll be trashing most of my scanners as they'll only be good for "show & Tell" vintage good 'ol days stuff...

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Well said David, I sadly must agree...I keep waiting for the manufacturers to make a scanner to receive Ericcson, Pro-Voice, other current technologies but I at this point don't think it's going to happen. I don't think the government will allow them to. I'm thinking in the next 5 years I'll be trashing most of my scanners as they'll only be good for "show & Tell" vintage good 'ol days stuff...

Ill take some :)

"Also to add" It would be alot worst if Lee county went to opensky

jthorpe

I hope not!

Because if they do then everybody they have mutual aid agreements with will need to have radios programmed in order to communicate with them.

Not necessarily. When they have an incident requiring multiple agencies, all they have to do is go to an open talkgroup, or just turn off encryption during the incident.

That means added cost. Face it not many low budget agencies don't have that kind of money to spend unless they luck up and get a federal grant.

True. About 700 bucks per radio.

Why would you want to waste money to Encrypt Fire, EMS, and Rescue with the exception of maybe hospital encode reports.

Agreed

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
I am here in spring lake next to lee co,i have talked to some people who say they will have the option of going encrypted on their radios but patrol will stay mostly in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.