Leeds and Grenville Fire to go Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is starting to get good. Now if I can say somthing.Did this not happen when the city of Kingston switched over to there new system.I know that they had some wide band channels incorporated into the new system with the new narrow band ones. and they also went to multiple site with a couple of repreaters at each site with some kind of voting system. correct me if I wrong. but are they using a analog radio with somekind of ID system on a analog based system controled by a digital voting system??

Jammin_Jay

Kingston Fire Services has a P25 FM solution that incorporates Tait as well as Zetron systems which include a wireless fire station alerting system, a digital multi-site paging system and a replacement City wide radio system. There is a mix on digital and analog here.
There is also a a microwave interlink connection between fire and police with t1 and ip.
Kpd are strictly P25 though with encryption.

Last edited:

Jammin_Jay

Well time will tell, see what happens here. It would make a nice system for l&g, but the question is, will it include Brockville and Gananoque PD ? , with encrypted digital comms or will they have the own interdependant system, as they do now.

That's what is the case in kingston. Tait Electronics, supplies both Kingston Fire and Kingston PD, and PD went full p25 encryption. With upgrades in the system to towers out in Pittsburg Township which is in the amalgamated Greater Kingston.

Last edited:

DaveH

Well the report indicate from the engineer, that 2 narrowband frequencies are allocated to the county for use from industry canada. Thats all that was specified. I would assume that is digital dave? Nothing was mentioned about trunking or whether its and LTR, or Mototrbo or whatever.

I checked TAFL for pending narrowband frequencies for fire in L&G
(anyone can do this...) but did not find any yet. Frequency 173.145 in
Brockville shows, but it is not narrrowband (?). Keep an eye on things
like this, it might provide some clues.

There is a surprising amount of info that can be gathered from TAFL,
much of it "accidental" discoveries.

Dave

update: 173.145 is listed with other fire frequencies (VAW456) so may be
related, but does not appear to be part of a new system.

Last edited:

Jammin_Jay

Even if frequencies were allocated to a specific region for use from Industry Canada for L&G . What would be the status of a frequency allocation in TAFL? would it be pending?

confused

Has anyone heard what the status of the new system is? I am hearing rumors thats it going to be motorola but it a toss up between C&W and Glentel on who will be installing it.I also hear that some departments are jumping the gun and looking at new radios with p25 . is that not jumping the gun before the new system is out? what if the new radio are not compatable with the new system .

I understand why salesman what to push the new digital equipment becuse they are salesmen But with my years of electronics and communications im confused.I know that they say we have to go digital because of the lack of frequencies out there.But I thought that when we went from wideband to narrowband that would be ok.Most of the new radios have some sort of compander or compression and expander software in the radios to improve the audio quality so that you would not notice narrowing in band width.or are they pushing digtital so that in the future we could do someting like TDMA (or like that).But what I noticed is that nobody is talking about all the problems other fire departments and police departments are having with digital.I just hope that when it comes time for the new system that they listen to the frontline people that have to use this equipment and not somekind of salesman that is pushing it becuse that is his job and is smoshing the committees with a fancy power point show and a nice steak dinner and a free leather jacket. this is just my opion as a firefighter with over 17 years of frontline firefighting putting on the line everytime I go in. And the last thing I what is to have someone trigger a mandown alarm and I can't hear because of a (new tech problem) I will be reposting this

smittyj77

System outlined to council
Posted 22 days ago
Leeds and Thousand Islands Township councillors were asked this week to approve the township's share of the multi-million cost to replace the aging analogue communication system being used by the fire services of Leeds County.

Already in the second phase of the project, Steve Seale of the Leeds Fire Communications committee formed two years ago, said Monday the township's portion of the nearly $5.9-million project is approximately $453,000.

"We are moving to digital technology," said Seale. "Analogue frequencies are becoming inoperable and harder to come by."

Repairing current radio parts, which are already becoming obsolete, will be next to impossible in the ensuing years, council was told.

The report recommended pagers be replaced with portable radios, the dispatch console be replaced, a new VHF digital radio system and a second tactical voice channel be implemented.

"These cost estimates are for budgetary purposes," Steale stressed, noting they are based on price estimates from Motorola, the current system provider.

Phase one of the upgrade has already begun in Brockville with the replacing of the dispatch unit. That work is expected to be completed by the end of June.

"We need to obtain the budget approval to proceed to phase two," said Seale.

The new system is expected to be up and running by 2015.

Gananoque and Leeds and Thousand Islands Fire Chief Gerry Bennett said the current system in Leeds and Grenville is more than 20 years old.

"Calls are increasing and sometimes they are back to back," said Chief Bennett.

"Now we are having problems (hearing calls) in the most vital areas. We are hoping for better coverage and want to make council aware that we need funding. Our purpose is to get council to budget for it. And, if not, we need to look at other options for dispatching."

Currently, areas serviced in the county are Elizabethtown-Kitley, Edwardsburg-Cardinal, Kemptville, Prescott, Augusta, Athens, Rideau Lakes and TLTI. Gananoque has its own dispatch with the Gananoque Police Service.

Councillor Geri Dickson asked if Gananoque could be involved in this process, "or at least made aware of what is going on. Or are we like two separate ships at sea on this? And what are the ongoing costs going to be?"

Seale said the maintenance and service agreement with Motorola will continue and the cost has been consistant since 1995.

smittyj77

Well hopefully it is P25 Analog and no digital crap. And do you have good info or are you just fishing for information?

well someone is buying new radios that have p25 on them with analog capabitities and no trunking .I guess that department must know something that we don't. or someone is jumping the gun and thinks they know whats going on and (presumes) what the new system is.I just hope they are not wasting tax payers money.and not buying equipment that is not compatable.

N

N_Jay

All (almost all) P25 radios include analog operation.

If they are buying P25 radios for an Analog system, it is still an ANALOG system.

They are doing that for one of three reasons.
1) To have interoperability with other P25 systems.
2) To begin the transition to a future P25 system.
3) To use grant funds that require P25 capable equipment.

In any case theer is no such thing as a "Anolog P25" system.

colby4601

All (almost all) P25 radios include analog operation.

If they are buying P25 radios for an Analog system, it is still an ANALOG system.

They are doing that for one of three reasons.
1) To have interoperability with other P25 systems.
2) To begin the transition to a future P25 system.
3) To use grant funds that require P25 capable equipment.

In any case theer is no such thing as a "Anolog P25" system.

I believe he was referring to P25 Conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.