PSR-800: Legacy upgrade - battery charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I got the whistler legacy upgrade and noticed it took a very long time - almost a whole day - to be fully charged via the unit itself. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'll assume that the charge time setting has something to do with this..? I read that people have been saying their battery time is lasting much longer after the upgrade so I'm wondering if I should change a setting or if this is normal. Thanks for any input.

WB9YBM

Generally slow charging keeps the batteries running cooler than fast charging, which is healthier for the batteries.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is normal, get a external charger such as the Lacrosse BC1000 that will charge test and refresh your batteries.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Ok, thanks guys.

I have other chargers. I just leave them in the unit for "ease-ability". I just wanted to be sure there wasn't an actual problem.

hill

Premium Subscriber
It's always best to charge batteries outside of the radio. If something happens to the batteries during charging you run the risk of doing major damage to the scanner. Just do a search on this website and you can find many of these.

WB9YBM

Much better for the batteries if you charge them in a decent slow charger.

In addition, proper cycling's a good suggestion, too. CQ: Amateur Radio Magazine's got an article I can recommend on the topic: "A Better Battery Charger", pages 51-4, January 2019 issue.

DJ11DLN

Another vote for getting a good external charger. You get longer charge duration and longer battery life, plus if one decides to go ka-boom, you only killed a sub-$40 charger instead of a $500 scanner. I know popping the back cover off is a bit of a hassle -- my TRX-1 is still a bear to pop after many battery swaps, though it's getting easier (don't feel like I'm gonna have to use a Hurst tool anymore, LOL) but the safety factor to the radio alone is worth the trouble, IMHO.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Get a Lacrosse battery charger, it can refresh your batteries and tells you their capacity. I write this down on the side of the battery with a sharpie every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.