Legacy Upgrade, WS-1080 @ CPU Updater 4.8 File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleSycho

:confused: Why are there two different CPU Updater ver 4.8 files ( CPU Updater_Legacy_U4.8_BOOT2.0.exe & CPUUpdater_WS1080_U4.8.exe )? File size is the same but have not compared the actual data in them, yet. Simply, wasn't sending your radio in to be updated (legacy upgrade) supposed to turn it into a WS-1080? If so, why the file differences (at least in file name)? :confused:

:) Tried a search, if it has been asked before it wasn't with the search terms I used (many). Thanks. :)

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I assume the boot loaders are different. That is the coding needed to access the cpu

CycleSycho

If your unit has been upgraded you need to us ezscan software

:confused: That's not the point, the whistler download page has separate downloads for the 1080 AND the legacy upgraded models. I know to use ezscan, I am asking WHY there are two identifiable CPU update files with differing file names. :confused:

I assume the boot loaders are different. That is the coding needed to access the cpu

:confused: Like I asked, isn't the hardware the same? IF using ezscan for the legacy upgrades, then why have a separate updater file for them. Shouldn't the standalone updater be the same file that ezscan grabs? :confused:

:) Maybe this is a question posed for Whistler Support folks? :)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You most have a Whistler upgrade to use ezscan.
EZScan has been around for many years before Whistler ever had anything to do with it.
Radioshack's version of EZScan was called iScan but was essentially the same exact software, just a different name.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
The way I read it, there is a FW update for the 'actual' Whistler product and another one for 'legacy' product. There are probably slight differences in the hardware and the reason for 2 versions. I have an original GRE PSR-800 which was just upgraded to 'technically' its now a WS-1080 in the way it behaves, but the guts are still, for the most part, GRE. Because of the nuances between the 2, I can only assume I need a slightly different file to make mine run. I actually have not checked to see what FW I have. I got the scanner back yesterday so I need to check to see what it came with. But I have read that trying to use the Whistler 4.8 version verus the legacy 4.8 in my scanner could potentially brick it.

CycleSycho

The way I read it, there is a FW update for the 'actual' Whistler product and another one for 'legacy' product. There are probably slight differences in the hardware and the reason for 2 versions. I have an original GRE PSR-800 which was just upgraded to 'technically' its now a WS-1080 in the way it behaves, but the guts are still, for the most part, GRE. Because of the nuances between the 2, I can only assume I need a slightly different file to make mine run. I actually have not checked to see what FW I have. I got the scanner back yesterday so I need to check to see what it came with. But I have read that trying to use the Whistler 4.8 version verus the legacy 4.8 in my scanner could potentially brick it.

:confused: Seems I am not the only one confused. I can understand your believe this is the case. I am asking to look at the TWO files posted on the whistler website. The fact you don't know which file to use (besides using ezscan), validates the OP. DOES EZSCAN SELECT A DIFFERENT FILE TO UPDATE WITHIN? If so, the hardware IS DIFFERENT, and we ALL need to know this (for a fact), PERIOD. BTW kd2pm, I am sure the F/W reads the same IN THE SCANNER STARTUP, my query is why is there a difference in the filename AND is there an actual difference in the hardware (since I was led to believe they were the same). Two files OUTSIDE the ezscan program? WHY (inquiring minds aren't satisfied)? :confused:

??? Whistler Support???

kruser

Premium Subscriber
:confused: Seems I am not the only one confused. I can understand your believe this is the case. I am asking to look at the TWO files posted on the whistler website. The fact you don't know which file to use (besides using ezscan), validates the OP. DOES EZSCAN SELECT A DIFFERENT FILE TO UPDATE WITHIN? If so, the hardware IS DIFFERENT, and we ALL need to know this (for a fact), PERIOD. BTW kd2pm, I am sure the F/W reads the same IN THE SCANNER STARTUP, my query is why is there a difference in the filename AND is there an actual difference in the hardware (since I was led to believe they were the same). Two files OUTSIDE the ezscan program? WHY (inquiring minds aren't satisfied)? :confused:

??? Whistler Support???

The files in question in this thread are standalone CPU upgraders. They are only used if the CPU firmware has somehow been lost on the radio. If this is the case, you will see a message about it as soon as you turn the radio on.

If the radio is working as it should, you use Whistler's EZ-Scan for any future updates. The old GRE EZ-Scan will no longer connect to a server for any kind of updates.

The reason for two different files was pointed out earlier in this thread. It is because the original PSR800 and the others have different bootloader code embedded into their eeproms.
The old original PSR800 that has been upgraded by Whistler to a WS1080 would use the one with Legacy in the name as the site implies.
A WS1080 model that has a case that says WS1080 on it for the model would be a Whistler factory product and would use the updater without Legacy in the name.

The main thing is, you do not normally need these files but they are good to have around just in case. There have been users that somehow managed to wipe the CPU firmware from the radios eeprom chip. That's when you would use these files, to unbrick you radio. It's really not bricked at this point but for all practical purposes, it's about the same thing as the radio is near brain dead until you write the CPU firmware back to the radio using the appropriate file as listed in this thread.

I do agree that it's kind of confusing! I'm also not sure if using the wrong file would truly brick the radio or if it would still allow you to use the correct file. I'm not going to try in order to find out!

The radios are very near identical but there are differences between the original GRE PSR800 and the Whistler WS1080. The RadioShack models are also different and would use the file with Legacy in the name in the unfortunate event that you wiped your firmware code somehow.
Almost all the differences are in the firmware and boot loader code. The boot loader code is hard written in the eeprom and cannot be altered. At least not easily if it can be at all. It's this boot loader code that the files in this thread are working with. The boot loader is different between the models.

CycleSycho

o_O I can ask here in the forum directly, and have Whistler Support address the differences (what and why) here in this post. If the hardware is the same, why 2 different (outside of the ezscan program) update files listed? Don't need 50 different reasons how to do it, do it differently, or different opinions/suppositions as to why or how it should be done this (or that) way. I was led to believe the hardware is the same and Whistler converts your legacy scanner to a WS-1080 (EXCEPT for the case). Whistler? o_O

kruser

Premium Subscriber

o_O I can ask here in the forum directly, and have Whistler Support address the differences (what and why) here in this post. If the hardware is the same, why 2 different (outside of the ezscan program) update files listed? o_O

Did you read my post? It explains that the "boot loader" code is NOT the same between the different models hence the reason for different CPU firmware recovery files.

CycleSycho

The files in question in this thread are standalone CPU upgraders.

:) Yeah, I know! :)

If the radio is working as it should, you use Whistler's EZ-Scan for any future updates. The old GRE EZ-Scan will no longer connect to a server for any kind of updates.

:confused: Ahh, OK, and? :confused:

The reason for two different files was pointed out earlier in this thread. It is because the original PSR800 and the others have different bootloader code embedded into their eeproms.
The old original PSR800 that has been upgraded by Whistler to a WS1080 would use the one with Legacy in the name as the site implies.
A WS1080 model that has a case that says WS1080 on it for the model would be a Whistler factory product and would use the updater without Legacy in the name.

:) OK, how exactly do you know this? Are you getting this from a post, supposition, guess, or satisfied with any answer that seems OK? :)

The main thing is, you do not normally need these files but they are good to have around just in case. There have been users that somehow managed to wipe the CPU firmware from the radios eeprom chip. That's when you would use these files, to unbrick you radio. It's really not bricked at this point but for all practical purposes, it's about the same thing as the radio is near brain dead until you write the CPU firmware back to the radio using the appropriate file as listed in this thread.

:confused: If what you say is true, then someone who gets a legacy upgrade scanner and needs an updater then they cannot use any other CPU updater file or else? :confused:

I do agree that it's kind of confusing! I'm also not sure if using the wrong file would truly brick the radio or if it would still allow you to use the correct file. I'm not going to try in order to find out!

:confused: Yeah, exactly, reason I posted... :confused:

The radios are very near identical but there are differences between the original GRE PSR800 and the Whistler WS1080. The RadioShack models are also different and would use the file with Legacy in the name in the unfortunate event that you wiped your firmware code somehow.
Almost all the differences are in the firmware and boot loader code. The boot loader code is hard written in the eeprom and cannot be altered. At least not easily if it can be at all. It's this boot loader code that the files in this thread are working with. The boot loader is different between the models.

:confused: OK, you know this exactly how? You know what eeprom IC's are right ( electrically erasable programmable read-only memory )? Isn't that WHY we send in our radios?:confused:

:) Please people, if you know, then source your information. Otherwise, let Whistler Support chime in? Moderators, ask Whistler Support to chime in with (a) detailed reason why. In my limited experience I believe I can understand what the differences are, and why the two files may or may not be different. All I know for sure is ppl have been saying the legacy radios have the same internal hardware and after the 'update', they are WS-1080 radios (sans the case). :)

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The file sizes are the same because both applications use the same firmware loader code and the size of the App firmware portion is the same. The contents of the App firmware portion are different.

The Boot firmware in the Legacy and WS1080 radios are different. Whistler considers them different models. GRE and Whistler implemented methods to prevent the wrong firmware being used in the scanner. The Boot firmware in the scanner checks the App firmware being uploaded and will reject it when it is for a different model.

73 Eric

CycleSycho

Hello,

The file sizes are the same because both applications use the same firmware loader code and the size of the App firmware portion is the same. The contents of the App firmware portion are different.

The Boot firmware in the Legacy and WS1080 radios are different. Whistler considers them different models. GRE and Whistler implemented methods to prevent the wrong firmware being used in the scanner. The Boot firmware in the scanner checks the App firmware being uploaded and will reject it when it is for a different model.

73 Eric

:) Thanks Eric. So the legacy radios are IN FACT not identical to a Whistler WS-1080 (after upgrade). Just like the nonsense replies muddying my original post direct question about the two standalone installers. Simply, if it isn't the same file (as some have suggested the radio could be or has been bricked using the wrong one). Nothing to do with an eeprom hard coded (I guess it isn't an eeprom or it could be recoded), nothing to do with just use ezscan, noting to do with a few other myriad of the replies, just that Whistler doesn't convert it to a WS-1080 sans the case. Nuff said! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.