Legal in Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzebra007

Quick question....Are scanners legal in the car here in Michigan? If I remember they cannot be on, but not sure if my mind is screwed up from being locked down? :ROFLMAO:

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
become an amateur radio operator that way you dont need to worry about it because we are exempt from the law.

freqs

There is a area in the Forums here to help you search your best ways to get your License.
All you need is a Technician Class Ham Ticket

GeneseeCoMI

become an amateur radio operator that way you dont need to worry about it because we are exempt from the law.

They took that part out of the law in 2006. It used to be you had to have a ham license or a permit from MSP after passing a criminal background check. But then some guy from Ohio got pulled over in Michigan and had a scanner on and was convicted of breaking the state law. He eventually got the law overturned by the state supreme court because the permit was only available to Michigan residents. You're still not allowed to have a scanner on in a car if you're a convicted felon or are using it to help commit a crime, ham license or not.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Is using a scanner really a valid reason to get an amateur license?

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
So if I'm reading subsection 1 correctly, even if you have had a felony conviction in the last 5 years, as long as you have an amateur license, you can carry a scanner.
(You have to chuckle at how some laws are worded.)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
In Florida most definitely if you want to have a scanner in your car.

Be smart, if you are being pulled over turn that sucker off.
Amateurs are certainly not among the "elite," but it seems to cheapen it to get a license just to be able to have a scanner.

My 2¢

RFI-EMI-GUY

So if I'm reading subsection 1 correctly, even if you have had a felony conviction in the last 5 years, as long as you have an amateur license, you can carry a scanner.
(You have to chuckle at how some laws are worded.)
The FCC is asking the Felony question now on new licenses. Not sure how many they have denied, but you must explain yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.