Status
Not open for further replies.

T5j6p9

Does anyone know if airports care about you bringing (and using) scanners to the gate and on the plane?
I'm new, so go easy on me, any answer is appreciated!!

trixwagen

You can't USE a scanner on any airlines last I heard. You should be able to carry it on board, but these days, I agree, check with the airlines first.

ridgescan

I'd figure NO-as it would be easier percieved by the average person that you are up to no good, than that it's 'just a hobby'. I'm sorry to say that is the new permanent climate anywhere within aviation space.....hell, you cant even sit in the car and watch jets take off without some UCA in a Crown Vic monitoring your vehicle!! Thanks bearded desert bums--for forever putting us in fear mode:( welcome to the third world.

shaft

I'd figure NO-as it would be easier percieved by the average person that you are up to no good, than that it's 'just a hobby'. I'm sorry to say that is the new permanent climate anywhere within aviation space.....hell, you cant even sit in the car and watch jets take off without some UCA in a Crown Vic monitoring your vehicle!! Thanks bearded desert bums--for forever putting us in fear mode:( welcome to the third world.

You would figure wrong. There is no policy in place that restricts you from carrying a scanner or radio on board an aircraft. Using one is a different story, but no issues in carrying one.

I just got back from New York over the 4th of July week. I had no issues flying out of St. Louis with my 396, Vx-7R, and 4 different antennas in my laptop bag. My bag did get searched going thru security on the way home, but there was no questions about the radios or antennas. Not sure what the question was, between the scanner, radio, numerous power supplies, spare batteries etc... When my bag was pulled, the security guy asked if it was ok to go thru the bag, I said sure, but please becareful because I have expensive electronics in the bag. The guy was delicate going thru the bag, and there was no questions about anything.

raisindot

Does anyone know if airports care about you bringing (and using) scanners to the gate and on the plane?

That really depends. I take my PSR500 in my take-on luggage whenever I travel on business. At least 50% of the time, the security people open up the luggage, take out the radio, look at it, then put it back.

The more electronics you have, the more likely you are to get searched. For example, recently on a family trip my son package his itouch, itouch charger, digital camera and a portable radio into one pocket of his backpack, and the security people did a check of every single piece

Suzie

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
at KALB, here in albany NY airport has it piped through the speakers in the obsveration room, anything like that there?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I've gone through PTI, ATL, and MSP with XTS5000's and MT2000's and never had any issues. I was told not to turn them on while on the plane though.

N9JIG

Sheriff
In the last few years I have been thru O'Hare, Midway, Milwaukee, Las Vegas, Phoenix, K.C., and others with my trusty BCD396T with no issues at all. Bring airbuds...

Most airlines will not allow you to use a scanner in-flight however.

elk2370bruce

I often bring my amateur radios and scanner in my carryon luggage and have not had a problem with the airlines or TSA (whether domestic or international). Just about every airline has policies that are a definite NO about using it in flight. There are quite a number of threads here that go into the details of this question (along with of lots of whining and but-what-if's). Just leave it in the bag when you get on the plane and you'll have no problem.

Bill_White

Even if they didn’t care…
Why would you want to draw unnecessary attention to yourself with what others may perceive as suspicious activity??
In an Airport of all places??

Not sure what the question was, between the scanner, radio, numerous power supplies, spare batteries etc...

Returning from Phoenix, my camera bag was searched. I asked the officer what triggered the search…
His reply was they did not like to see boxes with wires coming out of them…
Which was the power supplies for the camera and camcorder.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Only problem I've ever had with a scanner is in my luggage last summer
TSA just put a tag on saying that they looked in my baggage and rummaged around

T5j6p9

Specifically, I would like to know if it is okay if the airport you use is in New York, where you need a permit, but it is legal to own and operate a scanner without a permit, because you live somewhere else, specifically in Connecticut? Many thanks for the answers!!

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I fly all the time, and mostly use two airlines- Alaska and Virgin. Alaska has a statement with the safety message that you can't use any device that transmits or recieves a signal. Virgin just says no transmitters. Have I tried it? No. Should I ask? Probably.

Airports are usually OK. I run Unitrunker and a scanner at most layovers, and while waiting to board. The only time I've EVER had anyone ask was here in Seattle, where a Port of Seattle cop wanted to know about the scanner. He was fascinated with Unitrunker, and kept switching channels on his portable and keying the mike up and watching the display. :D

SAR923

Never had a problem with a scanner in an airport in the US. Don't try it in Europe though. You'll soon be visited by guys with submachine guns. No problem annoying the heck out of everyone with your Nextel set to max volume though. :mad: The strange things is that I've never been asked to turn on any of my radios going through security. Same thing with my Palm. Any idea how much C5 you could pack into a Pro-92 or a Palm TX and not have it look any different on x-ray? I'll bet a fair amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.