Legal question & help!! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
I have been broadcasting the Buncombe County and Asheville Nc. feed for a while now till today I bumped to a cop freind who pulled me aside and asked me to stop broad-casting the feed and told me that I may be breaking the law and does not want me to get into trouble. Heres what I pulled up on the net and so-far from a glance I just mitgh be. My main consern is rule #7. So Am I or Not?
.....................................................................................................
Sorce: Home | FCC.gov
01.) It is illegal to listen in on cellular and cordless phone calls.
02.) It is illegal to intercept encrypted or scrambled communications.
03.) It is illegal for scanner manufacturers to sell or import radio scanners that are capable of receiving cellular phone frequencies.
04.) It is illegal to modify radio scanners so that cellular phone frequencies can be received.
05.) It is illegal to use information you hear for personal gain.
06.) It is illegal to use information you hear to aid in the commission of a crime.
07.) -------> It is illegal to disclose information you hear to the public or press. <--------

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
So Police Traffic Runs under the open air rule? if it there and not encrypted its fair game? Right?

mastr

I just want to cover my butt, I realy don't want any trouble from law enforcement.

I'll run things thru the magic decoder ring for you.

(1) When a cop, friend or not, "asks" you to stop doing something, that is cop speak for "you had better quit, unless you want us to make your life miserable from now on".

(2) It doesn't matter what you think the law says, or what you think is "fair game". What matters is what the cops think the law says, and whether they see you as a good guy or a bad guy. The former is far preferable to the latter. If your cop friend knows about your activity and disapproves, you can bet he isn't the only one.

(3) You already have "trouble from law enforcement", which will probably go away if you do as you have been "asked" to.

vest2208

Premium Subscriber
I'll run things thru the magic decoder ring for you.

(1) When a cop, friend or not, "asks" you to stop doing something, that is cop speak for "you had better quit, unless you want us to make your life miserable from now on".

(2) It doesn't matter what you think the law says, or what you think is "fair game". What matters is what the cops think the law says, and whether they see you as a good guy or a bad guy. The former is far preferable to the latter. If your cop friend knows about your activity and disapproves, you can bet he isn't the only one.

(3) You already have "trouble from law enforcement", which will probably go away if you do as you have been "asked" to.

Seriously? Actually it's more a case of misinformation, just as has happened when police departments try to keep people from videotaping them & other activities (ie: fire scenes). They feel they have the right to say no, which legally they don't - and typically once those departments have the issue brought to their attention that the person wasn't/isn't breaking the law, their attitude changes. Usually it ends up that the higher ups know there's nothing wrong with it and then can educate the rest of the troops. The law was posted in the previous post, so as it says, as long as it's not encrypted, it's fair game. If people give up their rights without question, that is a far bigger issue.

W6KRU

If the police dislike it, they dislike it. If it is legal, they have to tolerate it but they don't have to dislike it any less.

K

kb0nly

Tell him to take a five mile hike on a short pier...

There is nothing they can do. As long as your not decoding encrypted coms and following the rules set forth on RR for what your streaming then don't worry about it your perfectly legal. If they give you trouble print out the info from the link provided and hand them a copy and ask them to kindly read it.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
Well my feed is down till I bubble check all my P's & Q's. My freind has read the RR legaul link that admin posted and he agrees that I'm in my right. But him and I will go over my scanner and make shore that theres no tac channels or private channels. This is a small freindly town and I work with these people and don't want to ruin any freinds or relationship's with the town. Thanks for all the input the site admin has help me with.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
Well my feed is down till I bubble check all my P's & Q's. My freind has read the RR legaul link that admin posted and he agrees that I'm in my right. But him and I will go over my scanner and make shore that theres no tac channels or private channels. This is a small freindly town and I work with these people and don't want to ruin any freinds or relationship's with the town. Thanks for all the input the site admin has help me with.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Glad you got it worked out. I'm closing this so there isn't another long debate about the issue. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.