Legal question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastingsmedic

Alright guys. Years ago I recall under the Radio Act of Canada there was a reference made to "10 codes".
Essentially it stated that they were tacky and shouldn't be used however it went on to give a list of common ones.
What I am interested in was a short note also included that stated that 10 codes were not mandatory and that users could "always request transmitted messages in plain language"...

Can anyone point me to current legislation either provincial or federal, which makes this statement since the radio act seems to be non-existant now?

Hastingsmedic

VE3JSO

Only thing that I know of that the 10 codes should not be used is ham radio and that is in the study guide in order to prep you to take the exam to get your license

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I don't think reference to 10 codes or any other codes is made in the Radio Act or the Amateur Radio guidelines.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Mike is correct, there's never been anything in any law stating that 10 codes shouldn't be used.

It wouldn't make much sense for the government to attempt to dictate the proceedure of an organization by restricting something like 10 codes. There's just no legal reason to support such a thing.

However, APCO (Association Of Public Safety Communications Officials) advocates for the use of plain language as opposed to the use of any codes such as 10 codes. Their recommendations are certainly not policy or law however.

Position Statements

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Oh but you CAN use 10 codes on HAM repeaters and then just sit back and the next half hour will be grumpy old men discussing the ins and outs of not using 10-codes. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.