Legal to use transceiver in receive mode only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml9905

Hi All,

I'm studying to get my Canadian Basic license. I have a question regarding what equipment I can buy and use utill then. I found the following Q/A at the RAC site. Unfortunately it's not very clear
Here is the question and answer:

Q - I want to be a ham and I found the perfect radio at a hamfest. I won't operate it until I get my license. That must be OK right? I can own anything I want.

A - TRUE. One can own any amateur equipment (it is illegal to possess certain type of equipment), but it cannot be put on the air. When a Qualification and call sign are obtained, whether or not the radio can be used will depend on the Qualification(s) held.

My question is if I buy a transceiver am I allowed to use it in receive mode only. I know and understand that the transmitter part cannot be used, but if I don't connect the microphone or switch to transmit mode is this permitted?

My second question: Is there any advantages in buying "separates", a stand-alone receiver and transmitter rather then a transceiver. It looks more expensive that way and stand alone transmitters look rather rare. I'm looking at an Icom 718 transceiver. Is the receiver part of the 718 equal or better then the icom rc-75 receiver?

Thank for helping a newbie.

w2xq

Mentor
There should be nothing illegal about buying a transceiver just to listen with. You may find some dealers ask buyers to show their licenses, but that is store policy. Re the 718 vs the 75, IMHO if you are interested in operating on the amateur bands you will be better off starting with the transceiver. I personally would add a 500 Hz CW filter; that will improve your reception of most digital signals in and out of the amateur bands. Probably the radio includes a 2.4 kHz SSB filter. If you want to listen to international SWBC stations an optional filter might be a 3.8 kHz. Good luck on getting the ticket. HTH.

nanZor

My second question: Is there any advantages in buying "separates", a stand-alone receiver and transmitter rather then a transceiver. It looks more expensive that way and stand alone transmitters look rather rare. I'm looking at an Icom 718 transceiver. Is the receiver part of the 718 equal or better then the icom rc-75 receiver?

The vast majority of amateurs purchase transceivers - in fact I really don't see any CURRENT transmitters for sale around at the common amateur dealers.

As per the 718 vs 75 - I have both. The 75 is the better receiver. Better specs, easy filter upgrading, dual preamps, 6M coverage, FM etc.

The 718 makes a nice companion, and while not the absolute best rx out there, it makes a fine starter. Just beware that a few people are a bit unsatisfied with the very fast agc action on SSB. There is a cure for that with a jumper mod that adds a bit of delay. If you want to upgrade the filter, you will need to pull some boards and do some soldering - there are various kits and some vendors will even do it for you.

Would I put a '718 under a 6x6 stacked monobander array and expect it to behave? No way. Is it a competition-grade contest rig? No. Can you participate in a contest with it? Most certainly - you'll just have to work a little harder at it.

I would say that you won't really go wrong with either one - depending on what your priorities are. Don't worry too much - this won't be your sole radio as time goes on if you really get a kick out of the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.