Legalities of scanners in Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.

yd1tdl

Legalities Using Radio Scanner In Indonesia

After the 2nd President of Indonesia Mr.H.M.Suharto change. to The third President. about 1998. Its Free to own a Scanner. and also you can buy General Coverage HF. VHF etc. open market .But before its illegal if you do not have a license. Police will hold you ,and the equipment will not be return to you for ever. FREE...FREE...FREE USING SCANNER.

jadi dulu gak boleh. Sesudah Suharto lengser bebas.

best regard, from : Agus Winarno YD1TDL

Last edited:

Cowthief

Islamic countries.

Hello.

In Pakistan you will need to get a license,and even than it is only for your own use.
India, license.
Saudi Arabia, prohibited.
United Arab Emirate, prohibited but done anyway.
Oman, policy varies by who you are.
In almost every case, an Amateur Radio operator is allowed to listen if license is from that country.

stickair

Grant, in that url you passed, puts that own an scanner in Spain it's illegal!
It isn't! It's not illegal (well, at the same time, it's not legal). I'm gonna explain me:
You can own an scanner. You can listen frequencies of authorities, commercials, etc.
You cannot make use of the information you listen.
You cannot decode any encription without the permissions of the emitter of that tx.
You cannot tell the information to 3rd's persons.
You cannot tell frequencies to 3rd's persons.
You cannot broadcast transmissions.
etc.

But you can own a scanner, legally, and listen eveywhere.
The only restriction, knowing the cellphones, the militar communications. That's illegal to tell frequencies, and I don't know if you can copy that tx's.

Anyway, to own an scanner here, it's NOT illegal.
I have an Icom IC-E91, and some times I wear it hanged on my belt, and the volume at 100%.
More than 1, 2 and 3 times, the police has passed, listened their frequency by my scanner, they're looked at me, and they're continued going.

I, and lot of scannians of here, Catalunya, has in common lots of histories like that.

But I'm amazed coz Singapore has more than 1 year of prison to own an scanner!
What wrong can anybody normal do with an scanner? Receive? To know anything?

So, looking around the world, I'm so good here'n my place!
I only fight to don't have to pay 200€ to do an exam, to be HAM.

Greetings,
Stickair.

DickH

I wonder why its illegal to own scanner there? What is there reason for that?

Because in Singapore, everyone MUST walk the straight and narrow.
If you think the scanner restriction is harsh, it's illegal to chew gum in the subway!

Raccon

Because in Singapore, everyone MUST walk the straight and narrow.
If you think the scanner restriction is harsh, it's illegal to chew gum in the subway!
Actually importing (including for personal use) and chewing gum anywhere is prohibited in Singapore, except for therapeutic use.

DickH

If you've got something to add to this list, please reply. Thanks, and have fun!

It might be a bit easier to use sorted in alphabetical order.

Afghanistan: (no information)
Armenia: (no information)
Azerbaijan: (no information)
Bahrain: (no information)
Bangladesh: (no information)
Bhutan: (no information)
Brunei: (no information)
Cambodia: (no information)
Cyprus: (no information)
East Timor: (no information)
Egypt: (no information)
Georgia: (no information)
India: (no information)
Indonesia: (no information)
Iran: (no information)
Iraq: (no information)
Jordan: (no information)
Kazakhstan: (no information)
Kuwait: (no information)
Kyrgystan: (no information)
Laos: (no information)
Lebanon: (no information)
Malaysia: (no information)
Maldives: (no information)
Mongolia: (no information)
Nepal: (no information)
North Korea: (no information)
Oman: (no information)
Pakistan: (no information)
Palestine: (no information)
Qatar: (no information)
Saudi Arabia: (no information)
Sri Lanka: (no information)
Syria: (no information)
Tajikistan: (no information)
The Phillipines: (no information)
Turkmenistan: (no information)
UAE: (no information)
Uzbekistan: (no information)
Yemen: (no information)

jcpd9720

Oh! And can anybody say me why that web ( Strong Signals - Scanner Laws ) is illegal? Where's that?

If you are referring to the statement "This is not a legal document", it is in short stating "If the information contained hereinafter is not correct, we will not be held liable for any imprisonment time, lost equipment, or psychological counseling needed after the anal raping that occurred in said prison"

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
If you are referring to the statement "This is not a legal document", it is in short stating "If the information contained hereinafter is not correct, we will not be held liable for any imprisonment time, lost equipment, or psychological counseling needed after the anal raping that occurred in said prison"

Oh come on.... "Why is it illegal"??! Buddy has to be a troll... Nobody is that dumb.

R1VINCE

I am told by my brother (while he was in the Phillipines)that you must have a license to own/operate a scanner. He got that info from someone that works in a store that sells ham radio equipment in Manila.
more info forthcoming.

mbahpaijo

After the 2nd President of Indonesia Mr.H.M.Suharto change. to The third President. about 1998. Its Free to own a Scanner. and also you can buy General Coverage HF. VHF etc. open market .But before its illegal if you do not have a license. Police will hold you ,and the equipment will not be return to you for ever. FREE...FREE...FREE USING SCANNER.

jadi dulu gak boleh. Sesudah Suharto lengser bebas.

best regard, from : Agus Winarno YD1TDL

NOW in Indonesia using radio in all frequency is allowed.
I have bought some radio from USA and hongkong by ebay, like Radio shack pro-137, icom IC-R3, yaesu VX7R, etc... the custom (and police) is allowed and the items are delivered to my house without any problem.
Some people in indonesia are using radio scanner and tranceiver free.
Also they can transmit in 136 - 175 Mhz (VHF), not only 144-148 like in USA/UK.
It is totaly free in indonesia. You can buy any radio in indonesian shop with have full modification from the importir.

mirangerman

By the sounds of it - soudns like it might just be a smart idea, to keep ur N. American scanner @ home - and if ya wanna use a scanner elsewhere; buy one from a reputable dealer in that Country! :)

-charles

spock00

I know for a fact it's illegal in Israel.

How do you know?

I could not find anything about it on the ministry of communications page. A few friends of mine listened to aviation frequencies on their radio shack scanners there. When they scanned the bands (other than aviation) they heard nothing.

DickH

How do you know?
I could not find anything about it on the ministry of communications page. A few friends of mine listened to aviation frequencies on their radio shack scanners there. When they scanned the bands (other than aviation) they heard nothing.

Then they didn't listen to the right freqs. Here are some Fire Depts. Nationwide 164.475, Jerusalem 164.4875, Tel Aviv 164.500, Haifa 164.4375.
They are all simplex - no repeaters, no trunking.

spock00

Then they didn't listen to the right freqs. Here are some Fire Depts. Nationwide 164.475, Jerusalem 164.4875, Tel Aviv 164.500, Haifa 164.4375.
They are all simplex - no repeaters, no trunking.

Thanks. Do you know any other frequencies there of interest? The police and military are trunked if I'm not mistaken. The police are probably digital trunked and the military uses TETRA?

DickH

Thanks. Do you know any other frequencies there of interest? The police and military are trunked if I'm not mistaken. The police are probably digital trunked and the military uses TETRA?

Sorry, that's all I know.

D

DaveNF2G

I note that the Philippines disappeared from the "no information" list, but there is still no validated information about scanner laws there.

"A friend heard it from a guy who sells ham radios" is like saying "a kid in Radio Shack told me."

Status
Not open for further replies.