• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Leixen UV-52 or similar radios with >128 memory channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeperboy

I need a dual band radio for a backup at work, and I need at least 200 channels. I'm looking at the Leixen UV-52 as it has two banks of 199 channels each. Does anyone have experience with this radio, or can anyone recommend another radio that will fill the bill?

The UV-52 has a 2800 mA battery which is great, but it doesn't use the standard Kenwood spker/mic or programming cable. I downloaded the UV-52 programming software, and it wasn't great. This might be a deal breaker.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
I had a tyt dm-uvf10 and it was a beast.
256 channels in 2 banks.
Nice screen clear clean audio and worked very well when i was on the job.
Now the Only drawback it was dpmr. Not a common standard in the us. But it is dual band and will use a kenwood dual plugin.
And programming cable

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

beeperboy

I had a tyt dm-uvf10 and it was a beast.
256 channels in 2 banks.
Nice screen clear clean audio and worked very well when i was on the job.
Now the Only drawback it was dpmr. Not a common standard in the us. But it is dual band and will use a kenwood dual plugin.
And programming cable

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

That's a nice looking radio. The specs say it only does narrow band FM. Is that correct? My channels are a mix of narrow and wide (12.5 kHz and 25 kHz).

Sconnick

I've been using a Wouxun KG-UV8D as a dual-band backup radio, which I really like. 1000 channels in ten banks. Only drawback is the radio doesn't play well with Chirp if you have any channels with a digital PL. OEM software isn't too bad (though I prefer Chirp).

beeperboy

I've been using a Wouxun KG-UV8D as a dual-band backup radio, which I really like. 1000 channels in ten banks. Only drawback is the radio doesn't play well with Chirp if you have any channels with a digital PL. OEM software isn't too bad (though I prefer Chirp).

Yeah, that looks like a decent radio. I may have to buy one to play with.

Sconnick

It's not a bad little radio. Again, it's just a backup. Wish the audio was a little louder, but the same can be said for a lot of the CCRs - especially when you're used to carrying around a big ol' Motorola for years.

But I've been using it for a few months now with no real big complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.