Lemoore FA-18's

Status
Not open for further replies.

exeter1

I live in Central California, near Visalia. Nearly every day I hear, and sometimes visually see, FA-18's flying over (fairly high altitude... hard to acquire visually) from east to west, paralelling Visalia Road/Caldwell. It's my assumption that they're headed to Lemoore NAS, perhaps from China Lake or some other training area around Mojave.

Just a few days ago I bought a Pro97, which is my first scanner, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what freq they'd be using? I'm just learning about the scanner. I have tried the search function on the Aircraft freqs but haven't picked them up. The signal stalker feature seems to be nearly worthless at finding anything. The manual says that it's only for locating extremely powerful/near sources, and they aren't kidding. It doesn't even find my local PD. (Attenuate is off)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning much more about it.

DPD1

Look up the field's freqs on airnav.com

You'll get the basic stuff from that. Air to air and other stuff is harder to find... They change that kind of stuff a lot. They primarily stick to UHF. The biggest places they go are the 2508 Joshua Complex, the 2500 southern complexes, and the ocean ranges.

I've heard a few people say they found air stuff with the stalker, but they have to be right over you. And a bigger antenna probably helps.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Featuring the New MilTenna Omni Air Band Antennas -

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Most of Signal Stalker's hits are at airshows when the planes get near you or close to the ground. Planes flying at altitude mentioned won't give a Signal Stalker hit. Search the UHF range with the 97's custom search and see what happens. Also, may i suggest you ditch the stock antenna (don't throw it away, may be of use at events) for a band specific antenna. I use the Maldol AL-500H and Diamond RH-77CA for both Milair and VHF. Both do good jobs. The Maldol is a little more potent. But with you living in CA just using the search feature from 225MHz to 400MHz no telling what will pop up. Although 380-400MHz is going by the wayside for other comms.

KN6FXR

The most active freq that I have heard for Lemoore NAS is 286.00 am
listen for the raider ## callsign for the F-18's.

MIKE in IVANHOE CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.