Let's try this area for the 536 App discussion plus other random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Good Morning,

I have started this thread for those of you who would like to be part of some sort of discussion on the BCD536HP Siren App. Maybe the staff will be happy and kind enough to leave this open and posted in the Tavern section.

It seems that our wonderful staff and select members here at the RR want to keep us under control about asking questions for an app that has YET to be talked about for over a month and was sold under what I believe to be are false pretenses. That and some find it necessary every time someone cops a gripe or complains or even asked questions to belittle, taunt and mock members.

So, let me see if I can help them understand what some of us are and have been talking about.

The answer of “When Uniden decides to release the app, we'll have something to talk about. Until then, these sorts of posts are Tavern fodder” is 100% CRAP. Maybe some of you have money lying around to spend but, some of us work hard and need to make sure our pennies go the mile on things that are highly expensive.

I have been watching & reading ALL things posted since the new scanners were announced back in November 2013. I originally was going to purchase the 536 but after waiting & reading all the issues with them, I decided to go with the 436. Smart Choice I later found out.

Even after buying the 436, I have been keeping up with everything pertaining to the 536 issues and the App. I still have a great interest as to how it is going to work, look and do. I have gone back through the 1000 plus postings on the 536 and the APP & I have re-watched the original release video put out by Uniden.

We have and currently know the App is going to be delayed. We all get that. Hopefully in the next 7 days we will either hear something negative or positive on its release. We shall see.

This all begins with the first launch of the Uniden video with Mr. Opitz unveiling and showing off the two new scanners. It is located here: Uniden New Scanner Launch - YouTube this way back in November, 2013.

Please START your video watching AT 14:50 then watch it to the end. Did you hear anything about the siren app NOT coming with the launch of the scanner? Did you hear anything about the App being part of future release or development? Did you hear anything mentioned about a possible DELAY in the App? No, No, and No.

To me and possibly others who had or had not purchased this scanner at prerelease, it seems the scanner app was developed and tested and will release with the scanner. It seems that it is going to have a Home Patrol -1 look and feel by the images on the screen when discussing the App in the video. It seems as though it was well into or already fully developed with no mention of possible problems.

At 16:43 in the Video Upman says “there are even more and exciting things in the work to come on the Wi-Fi option of the scanner and to look out for more announcements on that come March 2014”. Not that the App is not ready or coming until March 2014.

Now, here is why I feel this is beginning to look like things were sold to consumers on false pretenses. They marketed the scanner to come with the App and also the Discovery & Analysis modes (which the Analysis mode still is not out for either scanner). They do not PUBLICLY announce the App was not fully developed and or ready for release. When I say publicly, I mean an official posting on the Uniden main web site: Uniden Scanners, Scanner Software & Accessories, or some type of professional media release as to it.

I am not talking about releasing information to select consumers who MIGHT belong to or find the RR and see the “information” on the APP release or development. By posting here on the RR or even on the Uniden “Community” site it is not getting out to the general public like it should be. Not all customers use these sites.

Uniden did post “App release 1Q2014” in the bottom corner of the sales page for the 536 which I believe was posted just after all the prerelease people had paid and a day or two after it was publicly released. I could not seem to find the post that discussed this since the new Uniden layout here on RR. I am still looking.

So, let us now start a timeline for those that further do not understand why people are not going to take the “sit and wait” for information on your $600 plus dollar purchase.

On December 6th 2013 a member asked the first question on the potential release of the App in the following thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/un...p-sentinel-software-siren-app-discussion.html

”UPMan, in looking at the iOS App Store, I do not see the Siren app available for download. Will it be available at radio launch or not”?

To this the response was:

”We are targeting release for 1/6, but still have some developing to do. The app will have features phased in throughout 2014, but essential functionality will be in the first release (scanning and setting menu items) with other features (remote band scope, discovery, etc) to follow”.

Which after the member said thank you for the response, UPman responded once again with this:

”I should clarify that on 1/6 remote access might not yet be ready. If you have a fixed IP at your location, you would be able to assign an IP address to the scanner and directly access it, but getting the registration server ready for remote peer-to-peer connection might be one of the things phased in, but will be very high on our list. Access within the same local network or when using the scanner as an access point will work (works now with test software)”.

After this was posted, there was nothing more said until December 20th 2013. UPman then posted in the same thread listed above:

”A little disappointing news on the App front. The phone apps are delaying a bit...it is our first foray into this and we've run into some unexpected snags. I believe I'll be able to put out a PC demo utility next week, but stay tuned on app news”.

After this, NOTHING was said by UPman until January 24th 2013 (AFTER the public release of the scanner) in the same thread listed above:

”And, yes, I am very disappointed that we are still working on the app. Actually is requiring a firmware updates to accomplish what we wanted...which we got for testing/development a couple of weeks ago. I don't have an ETA, yet.

Normally, we do closed alpha- and beta-testing. I will likely keep alpha-testing private, but do open beta-testing so those of you with the scanner, already, will have something to play with if you are so inclined”.

From the above posting until Febuarary 22nd 2013 UPman had nothing to say about the App release. In this thread created Januaray 31st 2013 (AFTER scanner release) you can see UPman had at one point something to work with App wise: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-forums/283228-faq-info_____-read-1st.html

”I got a firmware release candidate from Engineering today. If all goes well, we'll release it next week.
I actually saw a pre-alpha app running on an iPhone this week, and it is looking awesome. But, there are some scanner firmware adjustments, Wi-Fi dongle adjustments, and more fleshing out to do on the app. Because I pushed a number of early bug reports to a higher priority level, it has delayed action on the things needed to be done to get the app out -- basically I pulled the engineers back to the released codebase so they haven't been working on the new function codebase...a decision that was mine, but I think necessary. But, the app development on the mobile platform side is progressing and we should be able to get additional resources back onto it on the scanner firmware side within a week or so”.

From the posting listed above until today we have heard nothing in the way of news from Uniden and or UPman. We have however seen in the past three months post saying we will be having a BETA version to tryout which never has surfaced, we have also seen post of "Next week" something might come out for you to tryout with nothing coming out as of yet, and then we have seen site staff and select members going to town having fun beating up on those questioning Uniden, UPman, and the App release. Those are the people making things worse than those actually asking and questioning. IMO.

Can anyone read where it was said by UPMAN that the App will not be ready until the end of Q1 2014?????????????????? I do not seem to see that.

So, now you folk’s that feel the need to belittle and mock can begin. But, remember that things have been said, sold and are looking bad for Uniden. The more you come on here and try to cover their butt's makes you look more like a fool then anything and anyone else.

In ending, I would like to say I know Paul (UPman) work's hard to get things in order for consumers here on the RR. I thank & appreciate him doing that and being here. I am not personally attacking him in anyway. I have an issue with Uniden and their crappy way of doing business. While Paul might be bigger than we all think in the company, at the end of the day it is not his total fault things do not work out. It is Uniden's.

I also want to note that I posted all of the above and not once did I need to degrade, belittle or mock those that KEEP trying to provoke me. Maybe they can try that out and not look like the fool anymore!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Good Morning,

I have started this thread for those of you who would like to be part of some sort of discussion on the BCD536HP Siren App. Maybe the staff will be happy and kind enough to leave this open and posted in the Tavern section.

Same old Uniden hater re-hash.... Yawn......

Last edited by a moderator:

daneg

Off topic questions but I didn't know about them until now.

What are Questions what are Discovery & Analysis modes and how do you use them?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Same old Uniden hater re-hash.... Yawn......

I don't see any hate in his post. All I see is a consumer wanting clarification to what seems to be misleading and/or contradictory statements from Uniden.

As an owner of a BCD536HP, I too would like to know when the app will be released. Is that to much to ask? I don't think it is.

Dafe1er

Off topic questions but I didn't know about them until now.

What are Questions what are Discovery & Analysis modes and how do you use them?

These two options started with the original Home Patrol-1 with Extreme edition. They have carried them over to the new units and as of right now you can use the Discovery feature but not the Analysis feature. This is to be added sometime in the future with a firmware update.

Trunking System Discovery makes it much easier to discover new channels on a trunked radio system.

Conventional Discovery helps you find active frequencies in your area that haven’t made it into the database.

Analysis allows you to find the Logical Channel numbers for EDACS and LTR trunked systems, check current activity on a trunked channels, is an LCN finder, has a band scope and other options.

If you have a HP-1 you will need to buy the Extreme upgrade. If you have the new x36 model(s) you already have them inside free of charge and can only use the Discovery option as of now.

Very useful tools to have. I personally think they work better on the HP-1 due to it being a touch screen.

JamesO

I think it is time to update the user community to help manage our expectations.

Either there will be an App released in the next few weeks, or it will be months until we see the App, but some form of answer would be helpful and at least be a glimmer of hope that something will be released in the near future.

I would think it would be better to release a partially functional App, maybe remote control/display without audio then have a 2nd release vs camp out and continue to try and have all the bells and whistles working day one.

Dafe1er

I don't see any hate in his post. All I see is a consumer wanting clarification to what seems to be misleading and/or contradictory statements from Uniden.

As an owner of a BCD536HP, I too would like to know when the app will be released. Is that to much to ask? I don't think it is.

Thank you!

I think it is time to update the user community to help manage our expectations.

Either there will be an App released in the next few weeks, or it will be months until we see the App, but some form of answer would be helpful and at least be a glimmer of hope that something will be released in the near future.

I would think it would be better to release a partially functional App, maybe remote control/display without audio then have a 2nd release vs camp out and continue to try and have all the bells and whistles working day one.

I agree with you.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I don't own the 536, but if I did I would probably be getting a little anxious at this point in time.

Now the "Analysis Mode" is a different matter, it wasn't announced until after people had the radios in their hands that it wasn't available. :evil:

Last edited:

Dafe1er

I don't own the 536, but if I did I would probably be getting a little anxious at this point in time.

Now the "Analysis Mode" is a different matter, it wasn't announced until after people had the radios in their hands that it wasn't available. :evil:

Bingo! Amazing how no one has touched on that subject as of yet!

I am willing to bet it is hard for them to get working with a non touchscreen device. I cannot picture for the life of me how it is going to work or look on either x36 model.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
And sorry I got off-topic, hopefully this doesn't derail your thread.

Dafe1er

Derailed?...Your good...some think I am derailed already....lol

Maybe I should request a thread name change or special section since the item you brought up is yet another item not working on already released scanner's and was sold as coming with them. This does come into play on my OP above.

Let's call it the troubles of Uniden or Uniden funnies.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Dafe1er thank you for that well thought out post as I know that took some good time to make and I couldn't agree with you more. It is not that most of us are looking for a date of when it will be released but rather some information and clarification on the progress and functionally. I believe as customers we are at least due that respect.

After further research and talking to some of my contacts I wouldn't be surprised if the problems they are having are due to the WiFi dongle. It is made by a company called Universal Global Scientific Industrial Co and they do not have a very good track record. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another recall for it.

I have noticed it is using a RTSP port which is used for real time streaming as well as some other interesting ports like 9080.

JamesO

Dafe1er thank you for that well thought out post as I know that took some good time to make and I couldn't agree with you more. It is not that most of us are looking for a date of when it will be released but rather some information and clarification on the progress and functionally. I believe as customers we are at least due that respect.

After further research and talking to some of my contacts I wouldn't be surprised if the problems they are having are due to the WiFi dongle. It is made by a company called Universal Global Scientific Industrial Co and they do not have a very good track record. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another recall for it.

I have noticed it is using a RTSP port which is used for real time streaming as well as some other interesting ports like 9080.

I would be happy with an 100baseT Ethernet dongle as well as a web interface.

I fully understand ALL the pitfalls on a WiFi dongle that a company teams up with. I deal with smart TV's and BlueRay players, RARELY do I suggest my customers purchase or use the internal WiFi on the devices, too many bugs and issues. I can get a cheap $50 or less wireless device that can be configured as a wireless client and will have 2-4 wired ports. This is FAR cheaper and easier than $80-$100 per the specialized dongle for the TV or BlueRay player that rarely work properly and are usually swamped by the broadband digital noise from the device it is trying to provide communications with.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
I would be happy with an 100baseT Ethernet dongle as well as a web interface.

I fully agree with you about that. While WiFi is convenient and would work better for some. An ethernet option would have been nice too. It is a lot more reliable than WiFi as there is so much that can happen and if this app is going to support streaming I see a lot of buffering issues over WiFi as I am sure not everyone has just great internet service. All my devices in my home theatre system have WiFi but they also have ethernet connections. So I am not sure why this option wasn't included. Seems to me this wasn't really thought out very well unless space even as little as it takes up was an issue. Even though they all have WiFi I hardwire all my devices. Ran a cable from my router in my office through the attic to my entertainment center and use a switch to connect everything hardwire. Just a lot more reliable and you don't have buffering and lag issues while streaming content.

A web interface would be nice as well and I think we may have that with a firmware update to the radio as we will have to have some way to set up the IP and do port forwards for external access. I did see a mention of a registration server. I am not sure if that was in reference to this for a cloud based access or for the product registration. Still a lot of unanswered questions.

mancow

Database Admin
THISGONBGUD.gif

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
LOL @ mancow - nice GIF. :lol:

As for the app being delayed, I file a lot of things like this under "Sh-- happens." I mean, what's Uniden supposed to do, release a buggy app that doesn't work and listen to the community complain or keep working on the app to make sure it's right before releasing it and listen to the community complain about that? Maybe Uniden should have just held off for a year and then released the X36 radios. Oh wait, then everyone would have complained about that, wouldn't they have?

Seems to me Uniden can't do anything right to stop some of us from complaining. So it makes sense to me that they aren't going to try to appease those folks. Maybe instead, we should just wait patiently. I find myself telling my own children that every day. I mean really, are we adults or not?

For those of you who feel swindled out of your hard earned money, you have options.

1. You can return or sell the radio and get your money back
2. You can wait for the release of the app and then you'll have "your money's worth".
3. You can complain about it until the cows come home in here.

1 and 2 have merit. 3 isn't really going to accomplish anything except perhaps to indulge your inner child a bit.

I'm going to be adding 2 of these radios to my collection soon. That's how impressed I am with the 436. If the app is ready when I have the money to buy them, great! If not, that's fine too - I'll have it as soon as it's ready. I've raised 2 children to adulthood, am in the process of raising two more and just found out this morning that I may have #5 on the way (dear God, help me). Despite things I've said in here at times that would seem to indicate otherwise, patience is something I have an abundance of, and the fact that none of my children are living in a Military Academy should serve as proof of that.

As for the folks complaining: In their defense, a word or two from Uniden, even just to say that "nothing's changed, we're still working to deliver the app as soon as possible" might not be a bad idea. But does that really need to be said at this point? Does anyone here think Paul is asleep at the wheel, the app has been ready all this time and he just didn't notice? No, of course not. We all know and understand that the app will be released as soon as it's ready. That's probably why Uniden/Paul hasn't chimed in to say anything. Unless they come out and say "Ha ha, April Fools, there's no app and never will be" then I don't think anyone's been swindled out of anything other than the minor inconvenience of waiting for the app.

I remember complaining about how long I had to wait to get my 436 and someone in here told me "lighten up Francis". They were probably just trying to make a funny at my expense (ha ha) but they were right. In the end, I got my radio and everything worked out just fine. I had nothing to worry about. I'd say the same for folks waiting on the app - you've got nothing to worry about. The app will come out and all will be right with the world. Do you like the scanner otherwise? I know I do.

So.... lighten up Francis.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.