Lexington Metro PD encryption and Uniden BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpend

Greetings one and all.

This is my first post ever on RadioReference and I need some help.

Lexington Metro PD and Public Safety has transitioned to the new P25 Phase 1. I bought a new Uniden BCD996P2 scanner in hopes of picking them up, but I'm losing hope because they're encrypted.

Is there anyway possible, either with the Uniden BCD996P2 or another similar type scanner, to decode their radio traffic now, or are we out of luck?

The frequencies loaded just fine in to the scanner, but no audio, I'm guessing because of the encryption.

HELP!

Thanks!

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
If a channel or system is encrypted no scanner is made to break that encryption. With Lexington Metro PD fully encrypted you're out of luck. But you'll be able to hear KSP. Depending on where you live you should be able to hear Frankfort, Richmond and Dry Ridge.

Louisville Metro PD has several encrypted channels that are encrypted but the main dispatch channels are in the clear.

Paul

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's actually a violation of federal law (the telecommunications act I believe) to attempt to "break" any form of encryption. Scanner manufacturers have to demonstrate to the FCC that their scanners cannot "break" encryption before the FCC approves them for sale.

The only possible hope is for citizens to raise a "hue and cry" for transparency/accountability with their elected officials to get at least the primary dispatch channels "opened". However there probably will be a fair amount of "push-back" from law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.