• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

licence to use ht1250 on tour with a band?

Not open for further replies.


Jan 5, 2012
thank you all for letting me into your group which i have NO knowledge of at all

what i basicly did was buy a bunch of ht1250's programming software and all the fun stuff to use with a band i am sending out on tour

now for something like this do i need to have a licence....does the band?

the model number of the radios are AAH25RDF9AA5AN freq 403-470

one guy told me to just use 462

fcc gal told me to check if i qualify for ITINERANT 90.138

another told me to call a frequency coordinatior

you guys seem more on top of the real answers...what do you think

917 656 3223


May 23, 2005
Boston, MA
You need a license.

Those radios can be used on GMRS (462 MHz), but each user of the radios requires his own personal GMRS license.

Radios can be licensed on an itinerant frequency, which does not require coordination.

Radios can be licensed for a regular IB Part 90 channel, but since the use is portable-to-portable, I'm not sure I see the point of the coordination hassle and expense.

Radios cannot be used on FRS.

My recommendation would be to fill out an FCC 600 for two itinerant freqs in the "portable only" segment of 467 MHz (avoid co-channel from higher power radios); e.g., 467.8125 and 467.9125. Send it in with the fee (I don't recall the fee for non-governmental applications). No coordination required. License good for 10 years.

Then I'd program 8 channels using 8125 with different PLs or DPLs and 8 channels using 9125 with different PLs or DPLs. That way, wherever you go you are likely to find a channel on which you don't have to listen to anyone else.


Jan 5, 2012
thank you

so i could use one freq and program 8 or so channels with different squelch codes?

alot of this is french to me sorry....usually on tour we never have problems at any point with anyone using our channels....so finding channels that arent used are very important...which comes to another point...ive never had to get a licence before....does the rental company hold the licence? if i were to rent these out could i hold the license for the people renting the radios?

arthur fry


Dec 19, 2002
Twin Cites Area MN
I would go with an itinerant license. Cost is $260 per call sign which you would only need 1 call sign to cover all radios.
The designated itinerant frequencies are:

467.8125 & 467.9125 are not in the itinerant pool, but from reading the FCC website it seems like as long as you license as a MOI station you can license any eligable frequency with out coordination.
I too would choose the .x125 frequencies and load up multiple tones per frequencies. My choice would be to go with 451.8125, 456.8125, 467.8125, 467.9125 and load multiple tones on each one, and label in such a way so you don't have multipe groups using the same frequency different tone- Channel 1a-f with 1 being the frequency and the letter being the tone.
So say audio is on 1a, lighting is on 2b, staging is on 3c etc.


I ♥ Ø
Jul 27, 2005
Hiding in a coffee shop.
Stay away from the 464.500 and 464.550 frequencies as they are heavily used in most areas. They are a common frequency used by a lot of different users.

Your rental radios were (or should have been) licensed by whoever rented you the radios.

Stay away from the FRS and GMRS frequencies. One, it's against the rules to use GMRS without a license. These radios don't meet the stringent requirements for FRS, they are too powerful. Also, using GMRS or FRS can create a lot of interference issues from kids with cheap radios.

Program your frequencies for narrow bandwidth. Likely it'll be shown in the programming software as 12.5 KHz.

Use DPL (aka DCS) instead of the PL (aka CTCSS) tones. There are more DPL codes than PL tones, and less chance you'll have issues with interference from other users.

If your band is touring, then this is exactly what itinerant frequencies are for.

I can tell you from running a lot of radios for work, they will get abused, they will get damaged, they will get lost. Be ready to either supply spare radios, or be ready to replace a few along the way. Invest in a good shipping case to keep them, the chargers and the accessories together. A case with slots for each radio and each accessory helps users remember to get all the stuff back in the case, and helps prevent things from getting left behind.

Train your users. When you are done training them, train them again. Biggest issues we have are user errors. 2nd biggest issue is batteries. Also, train them that the antenna is NOT a carrying handle! Leather cases do a lot to prevent damage from drops and bumps. We never rent radios to our customers without them. Oh yeah, train them again!
Last edited:
Not open for further replies.