• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
  • Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:

licensing questions

Apr 30, 2008
pittsboro in / mesa az
A client has repeater freqs in 2 counties. I need to add the freqs to the other sites so we can use talk around from site A at B and vice versa, plus he's DMR so his mobile range is outside his 32 km radius.

Can I do this through ULS without a coordinator?
Can mobiles be greater than 32 km?


Dec 19, 2002
Wichita Falls, TX
Try it and see. If they don't like it you will get a letter stating you need coordination.

As far as I know adding or changing frequencies, fixed locations, power, antenna height, number of mobiles or mobile operating areas all need a new coordination.


Dec 22, 2013
You are going to need a coordinator to help you license this. Your modification would be to add 32 km around site B for simplex of repeater pair at Site A and vice versa. But going into this you don't know if you have another licensee on those frequencies who would be affected. The FCC will require coordination as it is a major modification. So would be a modification to expand beyond the 32KM on either set of frequencies.


Mar 15, 2010
Yep, you'll def need coordination. You'll need to increase the area of operation beyond 32 km, hopefully there are not other users that would be affected or else it won't happen. Or, you'll need to get a new set of freq's. There is a process to do that and I believe one of them is a letter of explanation / hardship. The first thing you can do is do a ULS search and see who's licensed on freq and adjacent channel in the area that may be affected by your increased area of operation. If it's congested than you'll probably be SOL.