LIDO Windowmate Express mount for 396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

Has anyone ever used the mount? http://hamstation.com/windowmateexpressmount.htm
I ordered one today, not from that place since they were out of stock, and am looking forward to trying it out. This will solve a problem for me when it comes to mounting the radio, yet having the ability to transfer it to another vehicle if I need to do so.
I ordered it from Amateur Electronic Supply, they had plenty of them. I figure for $20 bucks, I could at least give it a try.
If any of you have this, tell me your thoughts about it.
Take care and God bless.

Addional Note: Don't order the item directly from LIDO, I have seen numerous complaints about shipping problems directly from them. Make sure you get it from a distributor.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
n4yek said:
Has anyone ever used the mount? http://hamstation.com/windowmateexpressmount.htm
I ordered one today, not from that place since they were out of stock, and am looking forward to trying it out. This will solve a problem for me when it comes to mounting the radio, yet having the ability to transfer it to another vehicle if I need to do so.
I ordered it from Amateur Electronic Supply, they had plenty of them. I figure for $20 bucks, I could at least give it a try.
If any of you have this, tell me your thoughts about it.
Take care and God bless.

Addional Note: Don't order the item directly from LIDO, I have seen numerous complaints about shipping problems directly from them. Make sure you get it from a distributor.

did you get this yet? I was looking at trying one as well.

linuxwrangler

Buy some Windex. TV news last night carried a story about the rash of smash 'n' grab auto burglaries in San Francisco. Thieves are looking for the suction-cup marks on the windshield so they can steal the GPS unit they assume is tucked in the glove-box or under the seat. Some rings are taking pre-orders.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
linuxwrangler said:
Buy some Windex. TV news last night carried a story about the rash of smash 'n' grab auto burglaries in San Francisco. Thieves are looking for the suction-cup marks on the windshield so they can steal the GPS unit they assume is tucked in the glove-box or under the seat. Some rings are taking pre-orders.

yep...Northern VA has the same thing happening.

troymail

Silent Key
Haven't tried it but interested in your results -- wondering how much weigh it will handle - also how far it is from the window itself (CORRECTION: I thought I saw the pictured radio didn't have an antenna on it... but I looked again)

I've tried a couple of things that do involve drilling into my dash and at least once I almost went into a panic when the radio took the mounting device with it to the floor (luckily no damage done!)

n4yek

mike_s104 said:
did you get this yet? I was looking at trying one as well.
Yep, works great! Holds on the window just fine and solved a problem of trying to mount the radio so as I could see the display.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Just my opinion, but that just seems like a waste of money to mount a 396. For $1, a mic clip does an excellent job.

n4yek

Raven95150 said:
Just my opinion, but that just seems like a waste of money to mount a 396. For $1, a mic clip does an excellent job.
Yep it is a cheap way to do it, but try to mount it in a way the you can see the display without taking your eyes off the road.
I use the mic clip in my shack for the same purpose, but it just didn't fit my needs in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.