Life EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
Did Life EMS in Kent County go to encryption? I am not hearing them. AMR now that they are on the 800 system never stops talking lol.

bobw4

There is a high presence of the Life Ambulance service over here in the very eastern edge of Ottawa County. However, in listening to the 463.2 frequency, all of the traffic that I have heard seems to be for calls over towards the Kent County 131 x-way corridor and to the east, nothing in the Ottawa County area. I am curious if they use some other frequencies as well, perhaps something not listed in R.R. The only two antennas that I have noticed mounted on top of the ambulances in this area are what would typically be used for VHF high band (150 range) and UHF (450-460 range).

bobw4

They were on 800 mhz Allegan dispatches them on 800 and I hear the dispatch but Kent and Ottawa I hear nothing
I do pick them up on the digital 800 system for Allegan county, but as you said, there are no dispatches on that system for Ottawa county or Kent county.

west-pac

Two Towers. Ottawa pages Life on their FIRE NORTH VHF/MSPCS. Mostly Lake Michigan Drive corridor between Standale and Allendale.

That license shows 463.200Mhz as their frequency, but that license was issued 9 years ago, and is set to expire in less than a year. They may only use that frequency to talk amongst themselves for inter-agency communications.

My other half is an EMS supervisor for a different company. They do non-emergency transports, as well as 911/emergency runs. The transport side of the business uses the company's FCC-licensed frequency, whereas when they're called for emergency runs they use the county's public safety radio system.

I'm not familiar with Life EMS, but just giving some insight on how other ambulance services operate.

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
I used to hear them on 800 but they are silent now. I do hear Allegan dispatch them but no traffic fro Ionia, Kalamazoo,Kent, Newago

depster00

Radio Service and KCEMS were testing the Hospital MEDCOM channels over the last couple days. Today they mentioned getting Life EMS to do testing. I imagine that they are going to be joining on 800mhz, but am guessing their new radio installs haven't happened yet due to the number of agencies transitioning in the area.

bobw4

I live just a few miles from the Allendale tower. I find that the radio traffic at my location on 463.2 is weak and scratchy, even with an outside antenna. However, once in a great while one of the ambulances will come booming in, rock solid and crystal clear. I am assuming when that happens that the traffic is hitting the Allendale tower. The dispatcher and the vast majority of the ambulance traffic remains weak which I am assuming is routed through the Kent County tower.

west-pac

I live just a few miles from the Allendale tower. I find that the radio traffic at my location on 463.2 is weak and scratchy, even with an outside antenna. However, once in a great while one of the ambulances will come booming in, rock solid and crystal clear. I am assuming when that happens that the traffic is hitting the Allendale tower. The dispatcher and the vast majority of the ambulance traffic remains weak which I am assuming is routed through the Kent County tower.

Have noted the PL tone when that happens? The output frequency PL is probably the same, but the input frequency PL tone is likely different.

bobw4

Have noted the PL tone when that happens? The output frequency PL is probably the same, but the input frequency PL tone is likely different.
I know that the output PL that displayed on the scanner was 97.4 for both the weak radio traffic (likely Kent County tower) as well as for the strong signal (likely Allendale tower). It was ironic that on one of the transmissions on the strong signal (likely Allendale tower) that dispatch couldn't read one of their radio transmissions well enough and asked for a repeat (while I was hearing all of the traffic very clearly). But, as mentioned previously, the vast majority of what I do hear continues to be from the weaker and static-filled tower.

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
They are no longer using radios unless they have to. New software they use is dispatching them over MDT's All traffic is done over the MDT's. Allendale is the only units on the 800 Mhz system.

Status
Not open for further replies.