LIFE FORCE III Now Using Night Vision Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/technology_968565___article.html/force_life.html

LIFE FORCE III Now Using Night Vision Technology

Erlanger Health System

May 9, 2008 - 4:45PM

Pilots aboard LIFE FORCE III, based in Calhoun, Georgia, are now using night vision goggle (NVG) technology to reach patients more safely during night time hours.

According to Shawn Miller, pilot and LIFE FORCE director of safety, all LIFE FORCE III pilots have been certified and are now using the ITT 949 devices - the latest and most advanced NVG technology on the market today.

Night vision goggles have been widely used by the U.S. military for years. Just recently have Helicopter Emergency Medical Services (HEMS) programs, such as LIFE FORCE III, recognized that NVG technology offers many benefits for air ambulance programs and can provide pilots with increased awareness and enhanced safety during their flights.

"This new technology will help our pilots do their jobs more safely when responding to calls during night time hours," says Mr. Miller.

With this new technology in place, LIFE FORCE III pilots, now have the ability to safely land and take-off from challenging landing areas with an added layer of safety by enhancing their awareness of the terrain and alerting them to potential hazards and additional aircraft in the area. In addition, this technology will improve the safety of all patients, crew and people on the ground, as well as other aircraft that may be involved in a rescue.

"The safety of our patients and our crew is the number one priority of LIFE FORCE," says Mr. Miller. "Adding this new technology will help us to continue working towards that goal."

Med-Trans Corp., the Dallas-based company which recently partnered with Erlanger's LIFE FORCE air medical program to manage their aviation operations, has been using NVG technology for almost

Gatorman

Night Vision

There was a story in the news the other day regarding some pilots who had quit a particular outfit, I think in WI, after a crash because the company had not provided NVG for them. Evidently, the organization that represents the MedEvac groups has recommended it.

I wonder if AirEvac or the Med in Memphis have their pilots trained to use NVG or have taken steps to move in that direction?

It would be complicated as you couldn't use them at a scene due to lighting, etc., but I imagine they would help when traversing remote areas at low altitude during bad weather. Maybe a helo pilot could chime in.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
One of the major hurdles most people don’t think about is making the cockpit safe for NVG use. Most older instruments are not NVG compatible and since LF3 is a new aircraft I am sure they ordered it with compatible equipment, but to retrofit an older aircraft can cost many thousands of dollars.

MMc.

Status
Not open for further replies.