Life Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Every time I hear a Life-Star tone out, it's usually on the 155.315 frequency. The dispatcher will say something like "Attention Life Star crew 1, code 100, town of ...." Then I hear either a long pause or they switch over to the 461.3875 frequency to dispatch the rest of the details. What is the reason for this and why come I can only pick-up the dispatch and never the crew members talking? Are they not repeated?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I can pick up the dispatch and the helicopters both,maybe you need a better antenna?

Schoolcop

The reason you dont hear anything after the first dispatch is because the rest of the information about the call is not given until the pilot accepts the call. He checks the weather and other factors and then radios in to dispatch to tell them if they are taking the call and then once airborn the dispatcher tells them were they are going to and the paticulars about how to get the and who to contact at the scene. the pilot then will receive the patient info and then will then tell the dispatcher how much fuel is onboard and how long it will take to get to the location.

Cskib32087

The reason you dont hear anything after the first dispatch is because the rest of the information about the call is not given until the pilot accepts the call. He checks the weather and other factors and then radios in to dispatch to tell them if they are taking the call and then once airborn the dispatcher tells them were they are going to and the paticulars about how to get the and who to contact at the scene. the pilot then will receive the patient info and then will then tell the dispatcher how much fuel is onboard and how long it will take to get to the location.

Shows how long since I listend to them. I didn't even know they changed freqs to 155.315
Thanks for the Freq update!

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I believe it is a typo on his part. Last I heard they were still on 155.385. /PL 123.0

scanner404

Feed Provider
Yep, I have a typo; I meant to say 155.385. I have an attic antenna, but the copter still comes in very scratchy, I guess it's just my location and thanks Schoolcop for the info.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I have a typo; I meant to say 155.385. I have an attic antenna, but the copter still comes in very scratchy, I guess it's just my location and thanks Schoolcop for the info.

What kind of antenna do you have? What type of coax are you using?

scanner404

Feed Provider
What kind of antenna do you have? What type of coax are you using?

It's a GE car antenna, that I am not really suppose to be using for it, but it works for me. I have a long cord leading from the scanner to my attic, where the antenna sits fully extended. I get most towns pretty good, but some are a bit scratchy.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
It's a GE car antenna, that I am not really suppose to be using for it, but it works for me. I have a long cord leading from the scanner to my attic, where the antenna sits fully extended. I get most towns pretty good, but some are a bit scratchy.

What type of coax is it? RG-8X,RG-58, etc. ?

scanner404

Feed Provider
I'm not sure what my coax is Rt169, I can't seem to find that info on the cord or the antenna itself; BTW does anyone know what a Code 300 is? I know 100 is Emergency response to scene, 200 is patient, hospital-to-hospital transfer, but just this afternoon I heard them say 300 and I can't think of what it could mean.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Here you go.

DISPATCH CODES:
Code 100 Scene Call (LZ)
Code 200 Hosp to Hosp Emergency Transfer (ED to ED)
Code 300 Hosp to Hosp Urgent Transfer (ICU to ICU)
Code 250 - Organ Transport | Code Delta - Disaster

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what my coax is Rt169, I can't seem to find that info on the cord or the antenna itself; BTW does anyone know what a Code 300 is? I know 100 is Emergency response to scene, 200 is patient, hospital-to-hospital transfer, but just this afternoon I heard them say 300 and I can't think of what it could mean.

Okay,I was thinking with that long coax run you said that you have and not being able to get life star and some towns good I was wondering if you had some lossy coax there.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Okay,I was thinking with that long coax run you said that you have and not being able to get life star and some towns good I was wondering if you had some lossy coax there.

That's probably the case; What I'm really hoping for in the future when I save up some cash is a BCD 996XT so I can hear CSP and the other digital frequencies. Then I will probably invest in a new antenna anyways.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
That's probably the case; What I'm really hoping for in the future when I save up some cash is a BCD 996XT so I can hear CSP and the other digital frequencies. Then I will probably invest in a new antenna anyways.

Okay,cool.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Here you go.

DISPATCH CODES:
Code 100 Scene Call (LZ)
Code 200 Hosp to Hosp Emergency Transfer (ED to ED)
Code 300 Hosp to Hosp Urgent Transfer (ICU to ICU)
Code 250 - Organ Transport | Code Delta - Disaster

I though 200 was the urgent and 300 was the ED? Its been awhile for me since I knew the codes exactly.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
You can't hear them due to the low power radio used on the aircraft (like most aircraft).

The reason why many can usually hear them is the fact that at a few thousand feet up, it has a similar effect as a high powered commerical FM station for the lack of a better example. Higher the antenna, better the transmitter.

HAM operators can take a 5 watt portable radio to Mt Greylock in Western Ma and talk to someone on a CT hilltop and they will sound like they were next to each other (conditions permitting).

Status
Not open for further replies.