Lifegauard Air Ambulance

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

On Sat 10-29-2011 10:30PM was monitoring 155.160 for Lifeline when a Helicopter that identified as Lifeguard said they were on the southeast side of the Fairgrounds and were going to Riley Pad. Lifeline Dispatch told Lifeguard that they were on Lifeline's Freq.I did a FCC search and found Lifeguard in two locations.One was in Nashville, Tn and the other was in FL.Does Lifeguard now have a base of operations near Indainapolis?Does anyone have any infomation that they can share with us on this? Thank You.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The term "Lifeguard" is commonly used to designate medical helicopters when communicating on the "Air" frequencies, giving them a priority over other routine air traffic. It may have been used on the "medical" frequency, where it is not normally heard.

Also I believe 155.160 is a common nationwide EMS frequency and not exclusively licensed to Lifeline.

Last edited:

KB5ILY

Lifeguard

I have heard that a designated Lifeguard flight is the only flight that can take priority for airspace over Air Force One.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have heard that a designated Lifeguard flight is the only flight that can take priority for airspace over Air Force One.

That's partially correct. The order of priority is:

1 - Aircraft in distress
2 - Air ambulances using the callsign "LIFEGUARD"
3 - Search and Rescue aircraft
4 - Presidential aircraft

Chapter 2. General Control

bessiedawg

Given that they were using the Lifeguard" radio sign, it is possible that it was a local medical aircraft attempting to talk to the Indy control tower, but they simply accidentally selected the wrong freq.

W9NES

Lifeline Dispatched advised the Lifeguard unit that was calling that he was on Lifeline Dispatch, Indianapolis. I have heard Lifeguard on VHF air in the past advising Indianapolis Approach and then they switch over to Indianapolis Tower. I have also heard them on 123.050 and 123.025

bessiedawg

Right...although I am not an aviation comms expert, I believe any medical helicopter carrying a patient uses the "Lifeguard' callsign when talking to air traffic control. So the "Lifeguard' that you are hearing could be different air helicopter companies. At least, that is how I believe it works.

W9NES

The Lifeguard I heard was NOT talking to Air Traffic Control. He was on 155.160 for Lifeline Center and Lifeline Center called him by name"Lifeguard you are on Lifeline Center, Indianapolis Do you have traffic for us? There was no responce from Lifeguard.

Viper43

Actually Lifeguard here is Indy ATC tower. They do have that frequency in the tower but usually just monitor it. You don't hear them often, last I heard them was in August directing two medical helicopters to different hospitals and making sure they were aware of each other.

usswood

Lifeguard is a designation used by aircraft..rotory or fixed wing (it doesnt matter) to let ATC know they have a medical emergency transport and should be given priority! That is ALL

W9NES

Thanks for your post usswood. The Radio Traffic I heard was the following "Lifeguard is SouthEast over the State Fairgrounds headed for the Riley Pad" This tells me that it was One-A Medical Helicopter that was headed for the Riley Helipad. Lifeline answered the Lifeguard call and told the unit calling that he was on Indianapolis Lifeline Dispatch and what was his radio traffic? After Lifeline Dispatch called him (2) times there was no answer.Thanks for the infomation and to all who have posted.

bessiedawg

My guess is that he was accidentally on the Lifeline Freq. After Lifeline dispatch advised him of that, he probably switched over to the correct ATC. Thus that is why Lifeline didn't get an answer after that. He was already gone.

W9NES

I have heard Lifeguard on VHF Air talking to Indainapolis Approach and the tower.I also hear them on 123.050 and 123.025.They are always asking for a Ambulance to stand by when they land for the patient to be taken to the hospital. I would recomend keeping 155.160 along with 123.050 and 123.025 in your scanners in Central Indiana.

Viper43

As I said, Lifeguard is ATC and just as a lifeguard at a beach watches swimmers the ATC is watching the medical helicopters......Lifeguard IS air traffic control.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
As I said, Lifeguard is ATC and just as a lifeguard at a beach watches swimmers the ATC is watching the medical helicopters......Lifeguard IS air traffic control.

No, the other posters are correct.

Or the FAA is wrong, one of the two ;)

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Chap4/aim0402.html

Because of the priority afforded air ambulance flights in the ATC system, extreme discretion is necessary when using the term "LIFEGUARD." It is only intended for those missions of an urgent medical nature and to be utilized only for that portion of the flight requiring expeditious handling. When requested by the pilot, necessary notification to expedite ground handling of patients, etc., is provided by ATC; however, when possible, this information should be passed in advance through non-ATC communications systems.

1. Civilian air ambulance flights responding to medical emergencies (first call to an accident scene, carrying patients, organ donors, organs, or other urgently needed lifesaving medical material) will be expedited by ATC when necessary. When expeditious handling is necessary, add the word "LIFEGUARD" in the remarks section of the flight plan. In radio communications, use the call sign "LIFEGUARD" followed by the aircraft registration letters/numbers.

2. Similar provisions have been made for the use of "AIR EVAC" and "MED EVAC" by military air ambulance flights, except that these military flights will receive priority handling only when specifically requested.

EXAMPLE-
Lifeguard Two Six Four Six.

3. Air carrier and Air Taxi flights responding to medical emergencies will also be expedited by ATC when necessary. The nature of these medical emergency flights usually concerns the transportation of urgently needed lifesaving medical materials or vital organs. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE COMPANY/PILOT DETERMINE, BY THE NATURE/URGENCY OF THE SPECIFIC MEDICAL CARGO, IF PRIORITY ATC ASSISTANCE IS REQUIRED. Pilots shall ensure that the word "LIFEGUARD" is included in the remarks section of the flight plan and use the call sign "LIFEGUARD" followed by the company name and flight number for all transmissions when expeditious handling is required. It is important for ATC to be aware of "LIFEGUARD" status, and it is the pilot's responsibility to ensure that this information is provided to ATC.

EXAMPLE-
Lifeguard Delta Thirty-Seven.

usswood

Viper...ATC is Air Traffic Control.....Lifeguard is the actual aircraft sir! A small plane would be something like Lifeguard N475MW were N475MW is the aircraft designator!

bessiedawg

It's kinda like Air Force One is not really the aircraft, it is just the call sign that is used if the President is on-board. If the President was on a Southwest Airlines 737, the Southwest jet would assume the callsign of "Air Force One". Same with Lifeguard. Can be used for any aircraft, but only under the circumstances in the other post.

Status
Not open for further replies.