Lifespan of LMR400 / 9913

Status
Not open for further replies.

trimmerj

Have several runs that are at least 10-15 yrs old. If I cut back several feet from the connectors and install new ones, will it be as good as a new length?
Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Why cut back several feet? is the cable damaged or corroded?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Have several runs that are at least 10-15 yrs old. If I cut back several feet from the connectors and install new ones, will it be as good as a new length?
Thanks

unless there has been water intrusion, or obvious physical damage, there should be no need to cut the connectors off and shorten the coax.

A radio club I belong to is currently using, at some of our sites, hardline runs that are 30+ years old. coverage predictions, electronic cable analysis and drive testing have all confirmed that the hardline is in good condition, with original connectors on the cable.

the sites that have had failures, according to electronic analysis, are usually at the connector at the antenna(usually 75+m up the tower) likely due to mechanical failure( cable movement in the wind) or water intrusion.

prcguy

30yrs ago I had many runs of Belden 9913, which is a hollow and mostly air dialectic coax. I would consider myself a professional antenna installer having worked in the business most of my life and I tend to over do most of my installations having seen what happens if you don't

With that said, all of my 9913 coax runs failed after about 5yrs with water I could pour out of the coax. One end of the coax was indoors and the other was shielded from rain and well waterproofed, leaving only a possible transfer of atmosphere from the outside to the inside of the coax with temperature changes and condensation happening inside the coax. The same thing has happened to most people I know using 9913. Bottom line is, don't use 9913 and go with a closed foam dialectric coax like LMR400 instead.

I have many runs of LMR400 and LMR500 at home with the oldest being about 15yrs old, and it still looks new if I wipe off the dust. It should last 20-30yrs no problem outdoors.

I've taken apart some Andrew Heliax runs that were a good 30yrs old and installed per Andrew specs with Andrew monkey goop over Scotch brand tape and the connections looked bright and shiny like new. If properly installed, Heliax will outlive the installer and then some.
prcguy

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I've taken apart some Andrew Heliax runs that were a good 30yrs old and installed per Andrew specs with Andrew monkey goop over Scotch brand tape and the connections looked bright and shiny like new. If properly installed, Heliax will outlive the installer and then some.
prcguy

I habe pretty mich jad the same experiences.

Sinclair/Comprod antennas and high quality hard line, properly installed and weather proofed will last longer than the equipment attached to it.

OTOH, I have also poured water out of hard line that was compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.