Lifestar weak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about lifestar, or lifestar center? If it's the helicopter, Just remember that they're simplex, So their location means everything as to whether or not you will recieve them. However, If it's lifestar center (Dispatch), It could indicate any one of a variety of things, Such as maybe they switched their antenna or transmit power, Or are using a different tower.

not really sure, but hopefully this info helps you figure out what it might be. Also make sure you didn't accidentally switch on the attenuator on your scanner, as that could be a possibile cause, if you did.

bobmich52

Out this way About 20 miles East Of Htfd, The Base Signal Has Sounded Weak, Mobile & at home

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Are you talking about lifestar, or lifestar center? If it's the helicopter, Just remember that they're simplex, So their location means everything as to whether or not you will receive them. However, If it's lifestar center (Dispatch), It could indicate any one of a variety of things, Such as maybe they switched their antenna or transmit power, Or are using a different tower.

not really sure, but hopefully this info helps you figure out what it might be. Also make sure you didn't accidentally switch on the attenuator on your scanner, as that could be a possible cause, if you did.

No it was definitely dispatch that was weak. I actually heard the aircraft stronger than the center. I heard it on 2 different radios and 2 different antennas during the same transmission. I am just hoping that they have a new transmitter site way up north or something. I usually get them down here even on my hand held scanner or HT with the stock duck down at the beach ( sea level elevation ) so you get the idea how strong they usually are. I haven't heard anything from them since that series of transmissions, so I don't know what the deal is yet.
Bob
Milford

snowscout

The only time I hear about Life Star is if the local FD calls for them. I wait for a short while and usually within about ten to fifteen minutes Life Star calls the Groton Airport tower for traffic and weather info. After that they communicte with the FD that is on scene. I usually miss that communication. I don't know if they use another frequecy that I don't know about.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
I have been getting them full signal here in portland and i normally don't get them full signal so I would think that they might have change their antenna or their power levels.

Here's an interesting thought.... Could they have switched to a directional antenna that is to be pointed towards where ever the bird is going?

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I know you used to be able to hear them on 155.34 (MEDNET) for dispatch as well. Of course that's going back to when I worked at C-MED. Might want to give that a try to listen in and see if (in case they still re-broadcast over MEDNET) if it comes in better.

SCPD

QRT
I have a similar problem in Nebraska. Star-Care (medivac) operates out of Lincoln where I live, and both pilot and the base come in very weak. Yet, the Omaha (about 50 miles up the road) medevacs come in crystal clear, almost as if they are in the same room with me. Both companies operate on the multi-state Racom network. It's left me perplexed why the local med flight comes in so weak and Omaha comes in booming.

lightningx54

Feed Provider/Amateur Radio Operator
Feed Provider
i have noticed that i only get weak signals for center dispatch too. i'm in berlin and i used to get everything from lifestar really clearing until recently.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Didn,t the state talk about cutting money for lifestar? I hope I am wrong.

They were talking about only operating 1 bird out of Hartford Hospital. This really raised an uproar out in Eastern CT since the second bird is out of Backus in Norwich (might be L & M can't remember), let alone the rest of the state. There hasn't been much discussion about it lately after the uproar it created in the EMS / Medical community.

Status
Not open for further replies.