Lifetime Handgun Permits Now Available in Indiana!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
n6orz said:
Furthermore, when you accept a CCW permit, you are voluntarily putting your name on an official state list of known gun owners, and you are raising a serious red flag for an officer during a traffic stop. My fellow right-wingers hate gun registration, but they love this form of gun owner registration. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

You have no clue what you are talking about. The database in Indiana will show not only registered gun owners, but those specificly with CCW permits. Why would it raise a serious red flag? You had to pass a backround check to get it, right? :lol: And if you do what you are suppose to and tell the officer the instant he arrives at your vehicle that you have a CCW permit and are armed, then there is no problem.

I do not have mine yet, But I know what happens when you are stopped. My best friend has one and has been stopped twice, once with me in the vehicle. The instant the officer approached the Vehicle the first words out of my friends mouth were "Officer, I am a Licensed Gun owner with the proper permit to carry concealed weapons and I am armed at this time" He had both hands on the steering Wheel.

You know what the officer said? "Ok sir No Problem, Please step out of the vehicle so we may varify this info and I can secure the weapon. Where is your firearm located?" "It's on my hip sir" "Ok sir No Problem" He takes the gun and DL from my friend. pats him down, and tells him to get back inside the Vehicle. The officer returns to the car after being in his cruiser for a bit, Gives my friend his gun back and a warning for speed and tells us to have a nice day..

The officer did not appear to be overly concerned, maybe almost like he has stopped someone with a permit before?? Naaa, that couldn't be :lol:

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
STiMULi said:
In the CommunistWealth of Virginina on the other hand a different story. A police officer attempted to use his knowledge of my CCW permit as his right to treat me like a criminal. (I had just justifiably beat the crap out of someone for attacking me but I never even suggested I had a gun) Needless to say I was not arrested for anything but the cop was an ASS just the same).................

Yea but it seems Virginia forgot that we separated from the Empire back in 1776.

kd7rto

Gun and gun owner registration

STiMULi said:
The ATF knows I have guns. The police know I have guns. But the Bad guys are never sure. (But I always do :))
Well the authorities don't know if I own guns, and I intend to keep it that way. No CCW!The agency in my state which runs background checks for purchases (Bureau of Criminal Identification) is required by law to destroy the paperwork after you pass. And the only way the ATF would know would be if they went to the FFL dealer.

kd7rto

scanner_freak said:
Why would it raise a serious red flag? You had to pass a backround check to get it, right? :lol:
Tell it to Det. Don Bell, of the Salt Lake City Police Dept. He once wrote a letter to the editor of the Salt Lake Tribune, stating that if he found a civilian in posession of a firearm, he would plant him face down on the pavement, then he would check for a permit.

Most cops may be reasonable, but I still don't want to provoke those who are not.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Sounds like a cop who needs to get a grip on the law and life in general..Indiana cops are much more smarter than that and know people can and do legally carry guns and they just can't go around throwing people on the ground because of it :lol: Like I said....If you tell the cop what you are suppose to, there shouldn't be any issues..

SCPD

QRT
The cop doesn't know that you have a CCW permit or not. So for HIS and YOUR safety he probably would put you in cuffs then ask. I know that's what I would do.

SCPD

QRT
STiMULi said:
In the CommunistWealth of Virginina on the other hand a different story. A police officer attempted to use his knowledge of my CCW permit as his right to treat me like a criminal. (I had just justifiably beat the crap out of someone for attacking me but I never even suggested I had a gun) Needless to say I was not arrested for anything but the cop was an ASS just the same).
I don't know maybe someone does, but does Virginia have a law permitting CCW and does that law recognize other states CCW permits.

If Virginian doesn't have a law permitting CCW then the cop was in the right.

STiMULi

Do your research first. :)

Virginia does have a CCW.

Then you need to ask some questions;

When did this happen?

Does (did) Virginia support reciprocity?
At the time they did not.

What state was I a resident of?
Virginia (at the time)

Now normally I would spend the next few lines berating your liberal standpoint but that would be a waste of bandwidth so instead I will give you more information (which you could have requested before making your comments) about the situation.

Some dummy assaulted me and I beat the stuffing out of him and then had the police called. When the (very unprofessional at the time Prince William County) Police arrived one young officer, after IDing me, wanted to know where my gun was.

I replied which gun?

He wanted to know where the gun was that I had with me?

I asked him which gun did I have with me?
(I did not have a gun with me - which was probably a good thing for me and the guy I just face smashed)

He told me not to be flippant.
I said that was a funny word, and asked the meaning of flippant? (Now I was being flippant :))

Needless to say a more experienced officer came around and asked if I was in possession of a gun at the time of the incident?
I said no

kd7rto

KG4WHM said:
The cop doesn't know that you have a CCW permit or not. So for HIS and YOUR safety he probably would put you in cuffs then ask. I know that's what I would do.
Dateline NBC ran shows titled "To Catch a Predator", where they set up stings to confront men expecting to meet underage girls. Afterward, the cops were waiting outside. One PD in Florida justified their roughness in taking down the perps with "concealed weapons permits are easy to get in Florida".

scanner_freak said:
You have no clue what you are talking about. The database in Indiana will show not only registered gun owners, but those specificly with CCW permits. Why would it raise a serious red flag? You had to pass a backround check to get it, right? :lol: And if you do what you are suppose to and tell the officer the instant he arrives at your vehicle that you have a CCW permit and are armed, then there is no problem.

I do not have mine yet, But I know what happens when you are stopped. My best friend has one and has been stopped twice, once with me in the vehicle. The instant the officer approached the Vehicle the first words out of my friends mouth were "Officer, I am a Licensed Gun owner with the proper permit to carry concealed weapons and I am armed at this time" He had both hands on the steering Wheel.

You know what the officer said? "Ok sir No Problem, Please step out of the vehicle so we may varify this info and I can secure the weapon. Where is your firearm located?" "It's on my hip sir" "Ok sir No Problem" He takes the gun and DL from my friend. pats him down, and tells him to get back inside the Vehicle. The officer returns to the car after being in his cruiser for a bit, Gives my friend his gun back and a warning for speed and tells us to have a nice day..

The officer did not appear to be overly concerned, maybe almost like he has stopped someone with a permit before?? Naaa, that couldn't be :lol:

been stopped a few times here in MIchigan and never ever have had them take my firearms. Now it is much easier as I have my deptuty uniform hanging in the truck ;) But before that they could care less. I know several others with the same experience

n6orz said:
Well the authorities don't know if I own guns, and I intend to keep it that way. No CCW!The agency in my state which runs background checks for purchases (Bureau of Criminal Identification) is required by law to destroy the paperwork after you pass. And the only way the ATF would know would be if they went to the FFL dealer.
BWAHAHAHAHA you know nothing. The national NICS check keeps the records over 24 hours long enough for a backup to be kept. Also if you buy more than 1 in a week from the same dealer a seperate form is sennt to the ATF. Bet you did not know that

ctrl

scanner_freak said:

Why? In indiana it is NOT a requirement to notify officers of your CCW permit.

There are times where it would be smart to do so however.

Use your best judgement, if you have done nothing wrong (besides the minor traffic infraction)--there should be no reason to worry about it..

Source: http://www.packing.org/state/indiana/

ctrl

newbie said:
BWAHAHAHAHA you know nothing. The national NICS check keeps the records over 24 hours long enough for a backup to be kept. Also if you buy more than 1 in a week from the same dealer a seperate form is sennt to the ATF. Bet you did not know that
^^ general statement.

In Arizona you have 1 over the phone NICS back ground check takes 20 seconds, you then can walk out with infinite weapons at once. These can range from handguns to high powered rifles with 30 round mags. There is no "registration" in Arizona.

If an officer runs a serial number-- no owner name shows up attached to it. It is only checked to see if it is flagged as stolen.

In essence they dont know how many weapons you are purchasing--nor does it matter--the gun store is required to keep the paper work indefinitely, however.

If an officer asked how many weapons I have--he truly does not know the answer, nor can he find out.

ctrl said:
^^ general statement.

In Arizona you have 1 over the phone NICS back ground check takes 20 seconds, you then can walk out with infinite weapons at once. These can range from handguns to high powered rifles with 30 round mags. There is no "registration" in Arizona.

If an officer runs a serial number-- no owner name shows up attached to it. It is only checked to see if it is flagged as stolen.

In essence they dont know how many weapons you are purchasing--nor does it matter--the gun store is required to keep the paper work indefinitely, however.

If an officer asked how many weapons I have--he truly does not know the answer, nor can he find out.
ATF requirement for the paperwork. yes you fill out 1 4473 no matter how many gun you buy at 1 time but the extra form is filled out by the store and sent in. You the purchaser do not fill out that form nor are you notiified of it. Read the ATF site and ask your FFL. Feederal requirement your state does not matter. And your NICS check is called in to the FBI not your state.

gun store needs to keep it as long as they have an FFL then it is turned over to the ATF. A C&R FFL must keep it for 20 years after they let the FFL lapse.

ctrl

newbie said:
ATF requirement for the paperwork. yes you fill out 1 4473 no matter how many gun you buy at 1 time but the extra form is filled out by the store and sent in. You the purchaser do not fill out that form nor are you notiified of it. Read the ATF site and ask your FFL. Feederal requirement your state does not matter. And your NICS check is called in to the FBI not your state.

gun store needs to keep it as long as they have an FFL then it is turned over to the ATF. A C&R FFL must keep it for 20 years after they let the FFL lapse.

I can agree with this.

ctrl said:
I can agree with this.
the intent of the other form is to stop the people who go to a more lax state and buy several guns then go back home and re-sell them. The new yorkers who went down south were the main push.

Status
Not open for further replies.