Lightbar Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_galbreath

Premium Subscriber
I have an old Code 3 SAE-W3-76 white/red lightbar sitting in my garage that I took off a wooden playset in my backyard that has been there sense I was a little kid. I cleaned it up and replaced a couple of broken lights on it.
All the motors and lights on it are connected to one red wire, and I am unsure of how to hook it up to a power source. I was thinking of just using a car battery or something like that if possible. Does anyone know how to connect it to a power source?

Thanks,

Ian

Viking1

i_galbreath said:
I have an old Code 3 SAE-W3-76 white/red lightbar sitting in my garage that I took off a wooden playset in my backyard that has been there sense I was a little kid. I cleaned it up and replaced a couple of broken lights on it.
All the motors and lights on it are connected to one red wire, and I am unsure of how to hook it up to a power source. I was thinking of just using a car battery or something like that if possible. Does anyone know how to connect it to a power source?

Thanks,

Ian
ground return is most likely through the chassis of the lightbar hence no black wire, red with a switch and fuse to +.

look at the motors, are the grounded to the lightbar off of one side??

fineshot1

I think those are heavy duty(with the light rotator motors) rated light bars. Any switch's used should be rated at about 20Amps like in the older model Federal Signal SW300 switch box. You will have to test it with a car battery before installing it. You will have to figure out what functions(take down lights, alley lights, flashing lights, rotating lights, etc.) and isolate those wires and test them individually.

i_galbreath

Premium Subscriber
Each motor has a black and a yellow wire that come out of them and the yellow is screwed together with the red wire that connects both motors and the lights. The black wire on each motor is screwed down to the motor mounting bracket on the ligthbar frame.

I dont know what kind of light options the bar has, but it looks like the one red wire is just for power. I am not well versed in how the wires and light options work. So it sounds like I need a switchbox to make it work, and I cant just conncect it to a battery.

n4yek

i_galbreath said:
Each motor has a black and a yellow wire that come out of them and the yellow is screwed together with the red wire that connects both motors and the lights. The black wire on each motor is screwed down to the motor mounting bracket on the ligthbar frame.

I dont know what kind of light options the bar has, but it looks like the one red wire is just for power. I am not well versed in how the wires and light options work. So it sounds like I need a switchbox to make it work, and I cant just conncect it to a battery.
Hook your battery's Positive post to the red wire and the Negative post to the motor mount.
All you need to do is put a switch rated for at least 20 amps in-line with the red wire and the positive post on your battery and switch it on to make it work.
Note: you also want to put a fuse, again rated for 20 amps, inline with the red wire just in case of a short to ground, make sure you place it close to the battery as you possibly can get it.

Last edited:

fineshot1

Actually I beleive those light bars are normally fused with about a 40A heavy duty fuse and fuse holder at the battery. Those rotator motors draw the most current during start up and its a momentary heavy drain until the motors get up to speed. The 20A switch can handle that heavy draw for short periods.

af5rn

i_galbreath said:
I have an old Code 3 SAE-W3-76 white/red lightbar sitting in my garage that I took off a wooden playset in my backyard that has been there sense I was a little kid.
Like this one?

mastr

They require a lot more than a 20 A switch and 40 A fuse if you use 4509 lamps...

i_galbreath

Premium Subscriber
Yes af5rn that is the only website that I can find it on. I believe it is the Force 4 Sealed beam, or someting like that. I was amazed the only site I could find was in German. Had to break out a German dictionary.

Thank you hoser147 I will venture to elightbars.org and see what I can find.

mastr I think they are 4509 lamps, so I will get 40A fuses.

Thanks for the help everyone

af5rn

I'm pretty sure the Force 4s were all halogen bulbs inside of rotating reflector cups, not sealed beams.

And yeah, I too was a little surprised that the only Google hit that came up was German, lol!

mastr

I was thinking about the one that used 4.5 " sealed beams, can't recall the model. A friend still has one with 8 lamps, we put Westinghouse 4509 (100w landing lights) in it once, it was fine as long as you were moving...

Last edited:

i_galbreath

Premium Subscriber
Just an update. I went to my local hardware store and bought a 50A switch(had to buy the display model) and a 40A in line fuse. I have the lightbar wired, just have to locate a battery for it. I think I will just pull the battery out of the old John Deere and test it out first, then go out and buy a battery.

Once I get it running I will try to get some pictures on here.

Ian

i_galbreath

Premium Subscriber
Well my plan went down the drain. I cant get it to work.
My dad made a comment that did puzzle me, he said that the motors only have two wires coming out of them a black and yellow wire, the black is ground and yellow is pos, but where is the neg? Also he said that there is no neg connection from the lightbar, there is only the pos red wire. He thinks I am missing part of the lightbar.
I am not sure what to do now?

Ian

af5rn

Got a volt-ohm meter? Check the current and see if it is actually getting through to all the components. Quite possible that you simply aren't getting the juice where it needs to be. Try hooking each individual motor directly to current to make sure they are working. Try the same with the individual light pods. One dead component can lock up the whole deal.

car2back

i_galbreath said:
Well my plan went down the drain. I cant get it to work.
My dad made a comment that did puzzle me, he said that the motors only have two wires coming out of them a black and yellow wire, the black is ground and yellow is pos, but where is the neg? Also he said that there is no neg connection from the lightbar, there is only the pos red wire. He thinks I am missing part of the lightbar.
I am not sure what to do now?

Ian
To repeat what a couple others have said, It's a negative ground; The vehicle's negative battery terminal is "grounded" to the chassis. To break it down the ground = the negative. Good luck, sounds like you had a cool swing-set growing up!

Last edited:

i_galbreath

Premium Subscriber
Ok I understand that, but what do I do if it is not connected to a car and it is free standing be its self. What would I connect the neg to?
Yea it was pretty cool
I think I have a a volt-ohm meter I will get that out and try that.

Last edited:

rabidjade

i_galbreath said:
Ok I understand that, but what do I do if it is not connected to a car and it is free standing be its self. What would I connect the neg to?
Yea it was pretty cool
I think I have a a volt-ohm meter I will get that out and try that.
Neg-Black-Minus Sign

Pos-Red-Plus Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.