Lightning Safety Question: How could I use a mag mount antenna on my car w/o being struck by lightning?

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
This is my first post, so please be polite!

I want to put an antenna on my car and I want to ride through storms while listening to storm spotters and public safety, how can I protect myself from lightning strikes?

I know a not so similar topic has been posted before about home antennas, but I haven't seen anything on car base antennas. You can redirect this to another post that is very similar. Thank you!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
This is my first post, so please be polite!

Ok.

I want to put an antenna on my car and I want to ride through storms

how can I protect myself from lightning strikes?

This article , one of many on the interweb, pretty much explains what will happen if your car gets hit. To me, seems safer to not drive around in lightning. But to each his own.

ind224

From what I have read a typical car or SUV would not allow lighting to get occupants but running a mag antenna and thus the coax through a window would actually be dangerous to you and the equipment.
Older vehicles used to have actual metal antennas for regular AM/ FM and those were allegedly safe. Path of least resistance perhaps soft copper braid straps that actually come close to the ground tied to the frame ( like a mud flap ) might help.
The tires are an insulator and they don't do the protection the metal from the vehicle does it.

AB5ID

This article , one of many on the interweb, pretty much explains what will happen if your car gets hit. To me, seems safer to not drive around in lightning. But to each his own.

Tip #3. Do not touch any metal
surfaces such as car door handles
or gearshifts for at least 30 minutes
after the car has been struck by
lightning. Until then, your hands
should be kept in your lap.

Attachments

• 1678835840124.png
    1678835840124.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 5

wtp

i have only heard of one car being hit personally.
it is the old friend of a friend story.
while on the New York State Thruway and on a hill the car was hit, actually the antenna was hit.
the car engine quit at that time but he managed to get to the shoulder.
no there were no emergency lights left to turn on.
trying to start the car produced nothing, no electronics worked.
the car was towed and the only good thing was that Ford paid the full value of the car as long as they could keep and study it.
it was the loudest sound the driver ever heard in his life, his hearing did come back after some time.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have actually been behind a car struck by lightning. It was pretty dramatic. This was in the 1970's so the car seemed unaffected and kept going. I am sure the AM/FM antenna was hit.

I had a lightning strike here at my house, about 10 feet from where I sit, about 11 months ago. A bunch of stuff damaged, no radios hurt. Cannot have enough lightning protection. As far as your mobile, I would go with a permanent NMO mount antenna so that the cable is grounded to chassis where entering the vehicle. If you are chasing storms, maybe a PolyPhaser surge protector installed at the tail (radio) end of the coax and bonded to chassis.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Remember - You're riding on 4 RUBBER tires, so there's no path to ground.

Cars have been driving around for years with antennas on them, right?
Tires have a considerable amount of carbon in the rubber and if wet, they will certainly provide a path to ground. Modern cars have low aspect ratio tires, putting the rim less than a couple inches from the pavement.

Lightning is not going to travel miles through the air and suddenly decide not to go another 3 inches or several feet. I have witnessed lightning strike close by twice.

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your responses, I got some really good advice. But I need to clarify some things;

1. I own an SUV and possibly soon a hybrid (don't know if that matters.)
2. I plan to use a mag mount attached to a portable scanner.
3. I know that I can be struck regardless, but I want to lessen the chance of it happening.

If I need to clarify more, let me know!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
1. I own an SUV and possibly soon a hybrid (don't know if that matters.)
Makes no difference. Still a large metal object moving in lightning.
2. I plan to use a mag mount attached to a portable scanner
Scanner can get fried even if lightning strikes close by and does not get your antenna.
3. I know that I can be struck regardless, but I want to lessen the chance of it happening.
Stay indoors during lightning. Just asking for problems. Lightning, or wind could knock over a tree or telephone pole and could hit your car..
If I need to clarify more, let me know!
What are you looking to accomplish? Why do you want to put yourself at risk or endanger the lives of any first responders that may have to come save you in the event something happens to you?

Last edited:

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
Tires have a considerable amount of carbon in the rubber and if wet, they will certainly provide a path to ground. Modern cars have low aspect ratio tires, putting the rim less than a couple inches from the pavement.

Lightning is not going to travel miles through the air and suddenly decide not to go another 3 inches or several feet. I have witnessed lightning strike close by twice.
Carbon black is mainly used to strengthen rubber in tires, but can also act as a pigment, UV stabilizer, and conductive or insulating agent in a variety of rubber, plastic, ink and coating applications.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Not looking to help facilitate the OP putting their & possibly others' lives & property in jeopardy so...
jackson-im-just-here-to-read-the-comments-72.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

A direct strike is not going to be stopped by the tires, a lightning protector, thin layer of electrical tape, or anything else. If you are unfortunate enough to be in its path, it's going to suck.

I think your chances of getting hit are pretty low. The antenna isn't going to make much difference, you are just a speed bump on its way between the ground and the clouds.

But, if you want to go out storm chasing, you probably have a lot bigger things to worry about than lightning.

And before someone starts it, a magnetic mount antenna isn't going to magically protect anyone or anything.