Lightning Suppressors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkm

btritch

Your house electrical may use a Ufer ground. Which is grounded to the rebar cage of the foundation. To find it you would have to crawl under the house if you have a crawl space. Most likely right under your breaker box.

For more on the ufer ground http://www.psihq.com/iread/ufergrnd.htm

wkm

Ok it shouldn't be under the house, it has to be accessible at all times, anything that looks like this on the house anywhere?

The box you show are usually used for suppling power to outdoor services like drive way lighting. I would not be tapping off of a 12 or 14 guage ground wire for lightning suppression.

KC0QNB

No that is an PVC LB conduit body it is used sometimes, to provide a way for underground electrical wiring to enter a structure, an LB is used instead of an elbow if electric meter is away from the house such as on a pole.

btritch

Well, Let me try to explain here, If I have to post some photos I will but let me try to explain this here

My driveway is about 507 feet off the street, That's just the length of the power lines, Then it's abouit another I'd say 30 feet or so from the pole where the meter is located to the house and the lines are run underground that distance, As far as wires coming in from the outside, There's nothing even similar...It has to be under the house somewhere, Then the breaker box etc. is right in the center of the house in the laundry room.. But like wkm says, It has to be under the house, it has to be, There's nothing outside at all!

How well would you be able to see that under the house..Should you just be able to loo under the house through the crawl space with a light and see it or would you have to really search? I may look later that's why I asked...

Thanks again

KC0QNB

Thats is an unusual setup OK I guess I need a picture or two, no need to go into the crawlspace there is are spiders down there, I hate spiders, anyway so the distance from the meter to your tower is how far? I can look in GE and zoom it in real close. brb
Nope that didn't help not clear enough, picture time.

Last edited:

wkm

No that is an PVC LB conduit body it is used sometimes, to provide a way for underground electrical wiring to enter a structure, an LB is used instead of an elbow if electric meter is away from the house such as on a pole.

I said usually. Building practices are usually different in different parts of the country but will alway follow a specified code in this case NEC.

wkm

One more thing I didn't state about the ufer ground that is also in the link. I was half awake when I posted. There is a ground rod but they are usually buried so finding it could be daunting. There is usually a piont where a copper ground wire will come out of the foundation or multiple pionts and connected via caldweld to more wire to a ground rod. If there is multiple pionts then the ground wire will run along the foundation till it is terminated to the rod.

The first and easiest place to look would be under the crawler at the location under the breakerbox.

btritch

Pics...

Here are the pics to settle all questions, Well hopefully...

Here are 5... Posting the last 5 now..

1 The lines coming in
2 The lines to the pole
3 The phone and meter boxes
4 A possible ground, The one on the left is in the next pic
5 This is the output feed going to my shop... More on it in the next post

Attachments

• 1 - lines.JPG
    1 - lines.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 2 - Pole.JPG
    2 - Pole.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 3 - Pole.JPG
    3 - Pole.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 4 - Ground.JPG
    4 - Ground.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 5 - Shop Power.JPG
    5 - Shop Power.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 55

btritch

last of the pics

Ok, Here's the rest of the pics..

1 Lenth from pole to house
2 Pole To Tower Length
3 This is the other end of Number 5 in the last pic, This is what KNOQNB was talking about on the input before..
4 I have these two, I thought they were sewer but I'm not sure, I can't get the caps off, I guess they're glued on?
5 From the tower to the pole again... It's a ways!

Hope this clears things up, A LOT! lol

Attachments

• 1 - Pole To House.JPG
    1 - Pole To House.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 2 - PoleTo Tower.JPG
    2 - PoleTo Tower.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 3 - Shop Power Entrance.JPG
    3 - Shop Power Entrance.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 4 - What Are These.JPG
    4 - What Are These.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 5 - Tower To Pole.JPG
    5 - Tower To Pole.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 48

KC0QNB

looking for options, Got an idea though move the tower over to the shop, and build yourself a room inside the shop, 10x10 should do fine, for your radio room. Just kidding of course.

KC0QNB

Ok, Here's the rest of the pics..

1 Lenth from pole to house
2 Pole To Tower Length
3 This is the other end of Number 5 in the last pic, This is what KNOQNB was talking about on the input before..
4 I have these two, I thought they were sewer but I'm not sure, I can't get the caps off, I guess they're glued on?
5 From the tower to the pole again... It's a ways!

Hope this clears things up, A LOT! lol
look like sewer cleanouts to me not sure why two however.

btritch

I know, The guy we bought the house from said something before about the ground here being equipped with another sewer connection but it wasn't hooked up..So I dunno...

Here's some more pics..

btritch

looking for options, Got an idea though move the tower over to the shop, and build yourself a room inside the shop, 10x10 should do fine, for your radio room. Just kidding of course.

There's already a room for that, The guy before me was a ham operator AND there's a ground rod out back to hook it too...Move it out there then use win 500 to monitor it from in the house.. LOL

Volunteers to dig up a 4X4 square of concrete? lol (kidding, kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.