Lightning Suppressors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I do not have any lightning suppressors inline with any of my equipment, I have never used them, I usually just unplug everything, However IF one wanted to purchase his first, where would he go to do so?

Also, If it has to be kept outside how would it work? Will it degrade the signal any at all?

hoser147

I do not have any lightning suppressors inline with any of my equipment, I have never used them, I usually just unplug everything, However IF one wanted to purchase his first, where would he go to do so?

Also, If it has to be kept outside how would it work? Will it degrade the signal any at all?

I believe Tonsoffun just put a good article in the Wiki on this.................Hoser

btritch

Ok, I'll have a looksie right now.. Thanks.. I tend to forget about the wiki sometimes, It's something I don't use much and I tend to forget it there, Good or bad, either way you want to take it I guess, LOL

Thanks Hoser..

EDIT: Just searched in the WIKI, I searched for Lightning Suppression, Lightining Suppressors, Lightining Suppressor, Lightning Protection, and Just Lightning but got no results, am I doing someting wrong?

Last edited:
It isn't just about lightning. When air moves across the antenna (if it has enough surface area) static builds up and can discharge into your radio, with clear blue skies. The damage may be minor enough to just desense the radio so it never quite works as well as it should.

KC0QNB

It isn't just about lightning. When air moves across the antenna (if it has enough surface area) static builds up and can discharge into your radio, with clear blue skies. The damage may be minor enough to just desense the radio so it never quite works as well as it should.
especially with fiberglass covered antennas, and they bite too. Another important thing to remember, is to never use a nonmetallic mast, use steel and run a ground wire from the mast too, bond the grounds together. For more info see my antenna grounding thread.

Last edited:

btritch

Ok..

Now I've got that figured out, Next thing to figure out is how to ground it to the house electruc system when it's about 1-2 thousand feet away across the middle of the yard...Guess it's time to look into that welding stuff KCOQNB was talking about before OR install lightning suppressors but I don't know how I'd ground'em.. Research time...

There are some very informative threads on the forums about this. Search time.

Remember to do it right you will need multiple grounding rods spaced out correctly, and that those will tie onto the household, cable, and phone system grounds. One big happy grounded family. Ground the mast, use a static discharge in the cable run right before the cable enters the structure. Check the gas discharge tube once a year at least for "blackening" which shows it has done it's job and that it needs replaced.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I'll have a looksie right now.. Thanks.. I tend to forget about the wiki sometimes, It's something I don't use much and I tend to forget it there, Good or bad, either way you want to take it I guess, LOL

Thanks Hoser..

EDIT: Just searched in the WIKI, I searched for Lightning Suppression, Lightining Suppressors, Lightining Suppressor, Lightning Protection, and Just Lightning but got no results, am I doing someting wrong?

I should have put lightning suppressors in the title so it can be found more easily:(
I still have to add more on that wiki page, I wish I had more time to install the system more quickly.
Ron

Last edited:

KC0QNB

Now I've got that figured out, Next thing to figure out is how to ground it to the house electruc system when it's about 1-2 thousand feet away across the middle of the yard...Guess it's time to look into that welding stuff KCOQNB was talking about before OR install lightning suppressors but I don't know how I'd ground'em.. Research time...
Brian I have a hard time believing your antenna system is nearly a 1/4 mile away from your electrical service. Your meter is where? The service entrance has to be at the house.
The system I mentioned is cadweld, or burndyweld for the others on here. Both use exothermic technology, not welding in the common sense. Brian, your best bet is to contact someone in your area that has the capability, it is not a dyi project, call Paragould Communications at [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]870-239-9605, ask them about it.[/FONT]

hoser147

I should have put lightning suppressors in the title so it can be found more easily:(
I still have to add more on that wiki page, I wish I had more time to install the system more quickly.
Ron

Its a little tricky to find but once you do a picture is worth a thousand words and you got pics. Looks great so far Ron.............

btritch

If the service entrance is at the house than it must be under the house.. The meter is halfway across the front yard from the house and from there to the house, everything is underground. I'll post a pic or two and show you what I'm talking about and I'll call PC monday.

n5ims

Please note that we're not talking about your meter or the electric company's transformer. The term "Service Entrance" can most often translate directly to your breaker box (of fuse box) in most residences. I'm sure that this is pretty easy to get to.

KC0QNB

Ok it shouldn't be under the house, it has to be accessible at all times, anything that looks like this on the house anywhere?

Last edited:

btritch

Nope, Not to my knowledge.. I'll look again tomarrow but I don't think there is like I said unless it's underneath I don't believe so...But I do know it comes off the pole underground..I'll look again but I don't think so.. I'll let you know..

Status
Not open for further replies.