Lightning System

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
So if your one of those guys that scans McCarran freqs like me, there's a freq used for Menzies Fuelers (The old ASIG) 460.6500 pl 179.9 When it's raining like this time of year you may hear occasional DTMF on the freq. That's the lightning warning system, it turns on remote lights kinda like the old k-mart blue lights. Basically giving a visual warning to the fuelers and rampers that lightning has been detected within three miles and to stop fueling and seek shelter from approaching storm. There are several lights on pushback tugs. I downloaded the radio that turns it on the DTMF is 6573. If you hear any DTMF on that freq you can bet lightning in the area. Not that you really need a signal to tell it's raining out. :)

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Thats pretty useful, actually.

At work, our neighbor across the street has a pretty sophisticated lightning detection system, and theres been a few times that the strobe and siren went off, and it was dry outside, but our own detection systems were slow to respond or update.

gariac

ARLSORD Lightning Summary

The Nevada Test Site has an impressive lightning detection system. When hits occur, you can get the location. Now I am geek enough that I have driven to ground hits and never found a charred cactus, but you never know. (I've run into charred Joshua trees when hiking.)

Lightning sensor on this page:

http://www.lazygranch.com/bg.html

Often they locate these at airports, but finding them isn't easy. Given the range of the Sord system, I suspect there are sensors far away from the NTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.