• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxAlarm187

Yes, correct, it's called a Roto-Ray. They're still hand-made by one retired firefighter in Fairfax County, Virginia. Herndon, specifically. The Roto-Ray was originally patented in the 1920's, and was dubbed the "Buckeye Roto-Ray".

The three lights spin on a shaft, which per NFPA, stops when the parking brake it set, if any one (or more) of the three lights is white.

Roto-Rays are very popular in Virginia, DC, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. You're starting to find a few more sprinkled around the US, but they're still predominantly a East Coast thing.

I have a lot of clips of Roto-Rays around, but in the opening sequence of this video from Warrenton, VA you can see a rig equipped with dual Roto-Rays, and a couple of Mars 888 lights too. Tres cool.

Go-24

BoxAlarm187 said:
you can see a rig equipped with dual Roto-Rays, and a couple of Mars 888 lights too. Tres cool.
... now thats a rolling disco party.

SCPD

BoxAlarm187 said:
Yes, correct, it's called a Roto-Ray. They're still hand-made by one retired firefighter in Fairfax County, Virginia. Herndon, specifically. The Roto-Ray was originally patented in the 1920's, and was dubbed the "Buckeye Roto-Ray".

The three lights spin on a shaft, which per NFPA, stops when the parking brake it set, if any one (or more) of the three lights is white.

Roto-Rays are very popular in Virginia, DC, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. You're starting to find a few more sprinkled around the US, but they're still predominantly a East Coast thing.

I have a lot of clips of Roto-Rays around, but in the opening sequence of this video from Warrenton, VA you can see a rig equipped with dual Roto-Rays, and a couple of Mars 888 lights too. Tres cool.
Some great examples about halfway through too...Show the light patterns very well. Must be great in fog.

CVPI4Ever

I always thought those were stupid looking. I have never seen them in person and certenly never at night time. That video made me a believer that they can be very effective. Really cool looking!

hoser147

Well not sure on the name but when I started as an Aux Firefighter in the late 70s we had a 1947 ladder truck that had one on it another old popular light was one that just spun inside a housing with or with out the siren built into it. This brings back many moons of memories the ladder truck had armstrong stering no roof youd wear the old style helmet backwards if it was raining and lord help ya hold the clutch in if you had to stop and wait for a traffic light The clutch was legstrong...............hoser147

BoxAlarm187

I am glad to see the video was a hit. I use it a lot to explain Roto-Rays and Mars 888's to people that have never seen them before.

These videos are all over the internet, and some are better than others. One of the best sites for videos out there (response videos, music videos, etc) is Manassas, VA Fire, look under the links on the left side of the home page. You can also look at Bedford, VA, Kentland, MD, and http://www.pumpfire.com. Just a few of the 100's that are around.

One of the fire department message boards I moderate has an entire section dedicated to nothing but fire department videos like that. :cool:

Last edited:

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
Great video! I missed the 888s though.

I've never seen lights like that on any fire truck in NY state. Does anyone know if there are any in this state?

BoxAlarm187

Horseheads VFD, which I believe is somewhere upstate, has a couple of them. I don't know a WHOLE lot of the NY fire service, but I believe that they may have been the first department in the state to have them. I know that Commack, down on the Island, also has at least one rig with a Roto-Ray, equipped with patriotic red, white, and blue lights. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.