• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Like many others--need install ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh380

So I'll be buying an older Toyota pickup in a few days. Both of them have camper shells. Here is the truck I'm hoping to getScreenshot_20200415-113440_Facebook.jpg

And here's the second choice:
81.jpeg

I've got two, maybe three radios I'd like to install. I plan on permanently mounting a UHF antenna on the roof. I'd also like to install a CB. I can figure out where to mount the radios in the cab, but where should I mount the CB antenna?

I'm wanting to install either a 102" whip (best and easiest match IMO) or I can go with a clean looking fiberglass whip like a firestik or maybe one of those 4 foot K40 antennas (not the mag mount with steel whip).

Suggestions?

WB9YBM

So I'll be buying an older Toyota pickup in a few days. Both of them have camper shells. Here is the truck I'm hoping to getView attachment 83293

And here's the second choice:

I've got two, maybe three radios I'd like to install. I plan on permanently mounting a UHF antenna on the roof. I'd also like to install a CB. I can figure out where to mount the radios in the cab, but where should I mount the CB antenna?

I'm wanting to install either a 102" whip (best and easiest match IMO) or I can go with a clean looking fiberglass whip like a firestik or maybe one of those 4 foot K40 antennas (not the mag mount with steel whip).

Suggestions?

For best ground plane effect, in the middle of the roof. Also make sure the camper top's electrically grounded to the chasis (& the bed, too).

Josh380

For best ground plane effect, in the middle of the roof. Also make sure the camper top's electrically grounded to the chasis (& the bed, too).
Grounding the shell might be easy for the older truck, I think the newer one has a fiberglass shell.

Ordinarily I'd simply mount the 102" whip on the truck bed. Obviously I can't do that with a camper shell on it. Unless I do a ball mount on the side, but I don't want to put holes in the side of the body if I can avoid it.

Ravenkeeper

If the fiberglass shell (Truck#1) has a high mount brake light on it, then it should be grounded, if the light is working. The other one, similar to the first, if the clearance lights are working, it's grounded. My dad had a shell, like #2, it was grounded, and we still had the (magnet mount) CB antenna on top of the cab.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Figure out which radio is more important to you. Sounds like that would be the UHF antenna. Since UHF only needs a 6-7" ground plane extending out from the antenna mount, you could mount it offset to one side. Keep it at least 7 inches from the edge of the roof.

For CB, you won't get a 'perfect' ground plane on a truck that small, so an option might be to put the CB antenna NMO mount dead center on the cab roof. That'll give you the most benefit with the limited ground plane. Since CB's are only 4 watts at the most (probably a bit less in reality, plus add in feed line losses) you shouldn't see an issue with the UHF radio. On the UHF side, there should be enough space between the CB antenna and the UHF antenna to give you enough isolation.

So, if it was me, I'd install 2 NMO mounts on the cab roof. One NMO mount dead center for the CB antenna. I'd use one of the Larsen NMO-27's that I've been using off and on for 30 years. With a good ground plane like the roof of the truck, you should not have any issues getting a decent match. I had no issues putting one on the roof of my old F-150.
I'd install another NMO mount offset to one side for the UHF antenna.

slowmover

Figure out which radio is more important to you. Sounds like that would be the UHF antenna. Since UHF only needs a 6-7" ground plane extending out from the antenna mount, you could mount it offset to one side. Keep it at least 7 inches from the edge of the roof.

For CB, you won't get a 'perfect' ground plane on a truck that small, so an option might be to put the CB antenna NMO mount dead center on the cab roof. That'll give you the most benefit with the limited ground plane. Since CB's are only 4 watts at the most (probably a bit less in reality, plus add in feed line losses) you shouldn't see an issue with the UHF radio. On the UHF side, there should be enough space between the CB antenna and the UHF antenna to give you enough isolation.

So, if it was me, I'd install 2 NMO mounts on the cab roof. One NMO mount dead center for the CB antenna. I'd use one of the Larsen NMO-27's that I've been using off and on for 30 years. With a good ground plane like the roof of the truck, you should not have any issues getting a decent match. I had no issues putting one on the roof of my old F-150.
I'd install another NMO mount offset to one side for the UHF antenna.

What minimum distance for offset?

Status
Not open for further replies.