Lil Wil Wilson Mag Mount Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Little Wil Mag Mount Antenna

Hey all,

I currently have a RadioShack mag mount for my Jeep and the magnet is not very strong and I think it is not made very well. I have been told that the Lil Wil mag mount antenna is the best (or one of the best) mag mount antennas to use especially since I will be keeping the antenna on my roof almost all the time - (I will clean the surface every once in awhile). Is that a good antenna? I know it's a CB antenna but it can be used for scanning, right?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
www.wilsonantenna.com/lilwil.htm

Wilson is well known for producing quality antennas, however this particular model is designed for optimum effeciency on 11 meters, pretty much any kind of antenna will enable you to hear something, however don't diminish optimum efficiency by compromising? what frequencies will you be monitoring? There are plenty of good quality mono-band or multi-band scanner antennas you can choose from. Choose wisely & happy scanning.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Wilson Antenna - Little Wil

Obviously a quality antenna, however it is designed for optimun effeciency on 11 meters, what frequencies will you be monitoring? There are plenty of good quality mono-band or multi-band scanner antennas you can choose from instead of compromising. Choose wisely & happy scanning.

FLRAILMAN

I will be monitoring everything from the 40's to the 400's all conventional...it looks like a great antenna...

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

N0IU

So would you say that the RadioShack mag mount is good quality or would I get better quality with the Wilson? I have the RadioShack one now and it does what it's supposed to do and I think it does a pretty good job. Should I stay with that?
I think what FLRAILMAN is trying to say is that NEITHER one of them would be his choice. There may be some quality issues with the one from Radio Shack if it keeps coming loose and the Wilson antenna is a CB antenna which means it is made for a fairly small range of frequencies (26 - 30 MHz) that are not in the range you are looking for.

ScannerWorld sells a quality mag mount antenna made for scanners that will do a much better job of covering the frequencies you want (25 - 1300MHz):
http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/ANT75BNC

Will it do better than the one you already have? The Radio Shack antenna covers exactly the same range of frequencies (25 - 1300MHz), but it is 3' tall whereas the one from ScannerWorld is only 18" tall. You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you hit some branches with the Radio Shack antenna and it seems to me that if you could put a smaller antenna on top of your Jeep, you wouldn't have to worry as much about hitting those low hanging branches. Also, a smaller antenna will be less likely to scoot around on the roof of your Jeep or even come off at normal highway speeds whereas this may not be the case with the Radio Shack antenna.

The antenna from ScannerWorld isn't cheap. By the time you add shipping cost, it is just under $50.00, but it sure looks like it would be a better choice if you ever decide to replace the one from Radio Shack. There are certainly many scanner antennas to chose from out there and this is just one suggestion. The most important thing when looking for a scanner antenna is the frequency range. Stay away from CB antennas! CB and scanner antennas can look very similar, but do not go by looks! Do not pick an antenna just because it looks cool. You have to read the specs.

I don't know your financial situation (and I don't want to know!), but if you can swing the $50.00 for the new antenna, I don't think you will regret it. OTOH, you already own the Radio Shack antenna and you can probably make it hold up a little better with some BLUE LocTite on the threads.

Don't lose a lot of sleep over this antenna thing.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
So would you say that the RadioShack mag mount is good quality or would I get better quality with the Wilson? I have the RadioShack one now and it does what it's supposed to do and I think it does a pretty good job. Should I stay with that?

How long are you going to keep beating this dead horse? You asked in another thread, and had all kinds of advice, now you're beating the dead horse again, but this time comparing a Wilson antenna to a R/S antenna. You've asked your questions, gotten your answers, yet you want to keep trolling this topic as if some magic cure-all is going to appear over night.

Please, accept the recommendations that have been given you (or ignore them) but don't keep asking the same questions, merely phrased another way because you are running the people who want to help around in circles, and sooner or later they will see the name, the question and not give advice. Is that what you want?

N0IU

Dak, I am well aware of how many times he has asked the same question, but hey, its the Christmas season and I was trying to put my usual "Bah Humbug!" personality aside for this guy... just this once!

Besides, I have a couple of infraction points and I want the moderators to see that I really am not some crusty old curmudgeon who's other hobby is giving people a hard time!

freqs

You need a all band antenna .CB antenna's are made to receive in the CB 27 mhz range .if you going to spend the $ for a CB antenna just by a scanner mag mount antenna do it correct the first time you will be happy trust us .dak48 is correct advise you have been given has largely gone ignored .
seems as if you want to do it only your way well it dont allways work that way. from mistakes we on RR have learned what works best and try to pass it on to new people .You dont use trans fluid in your motor so dont use CB antenna for your scanner if your going above 30mhz..Dont take what I say the wrong way

SCPD

QRT
Dak, I am well aware of how many times he has asked the same question, but hey, its the Christmas season and I was trying to put my usual "Bah Humbug!" personality aside for this guy... just this once!

Besides, I have a couple of infraction points and I want the moderators to see that I really am not some crusty old curmudgeon who's other hobby is giving people a hard time!

Well I didn't mean to come of as a crusty old curmudgeon either, but sometimes, even during the Holidays, I get annoyed when the same question gets asked and ignored. If a person wants advice, listen to it, evaluate it and accept it, or not. But in this case, it keeps coming back to the same old Radio Shack antenna.

And that's my final two-cents on this issue.

N0IU

Well Dak, I tried to explain it as clearly as possible so that hopefully he won't ask the same exact question again... and again... and again. If he still doesn't get it at this point, well then there isn't much more any of us can do for him short of buying the antenna and installing it for him. We just had our 8th grandchild right before Thanksgiving so you know grandpa is tapped out after Christmas!

Better quit now so that we don't get one of those "Stay on Topic" love notes from the moderators. Man, you talk about guys who really can be crusty old curmudgeons! Sheesh!

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Lil Wil Wilson mag mount Antenna

Is this phony thread "still" going on? Scott you gotta know that the "inner circle" is behind this hose job!!! tit for tat.

FLI'MKEEPINGALOWPROFILEMAN

Last edited:

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Thank God for that two hour window. They see the originals anyway. Oh Congrats on the little one, Never-ending (Diaper) story. LOL

FLIKNOWNOTHINGMAN

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I think what FLRAILMAN is trying to say is that NEITHER one of them would be his choice. There may be some quality issues with the one from Radio Shack if it keeps coming loose and the Wilson antenna is a CB antenna which means it is made for a fairly small range of frequencies (26 - 30 MHz) that are not in the range you are looking for.

ScannerWorld sells a quality mag mount antenna made for scanners that will do a much better job of covering the frequencies you want (25 - 1300MHz):
ANT75BNC, MOBILE MAGNETIC SCANNER ANTENNA WITH BNC CONNECTOR - 18 INCHES TALL - Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World

Will it do better than the one you already have? The Radio Shack antenna covers exactly the same range of frequencies (25 - 1300MHz), but it is 3' tall whereas the one from ScannerWorld is only 18" tall. You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you hit some branches with the Radio Shack antenna and it seems to me that if you could put a smaller antenna on top of your Jeep, you wouldn't have to worry as much about hitting those low hanging branches. Also, a smaller antenna will be less likely to scoot around on the roof of your Jeep or even come off at normal highway speeds whereas this may not be the case with the Radio Shack antenna.

The antenna from ScannerWorld isn't cheap. By the time you add shipping cost, it is just under $50.00, but it sure looks like it would be a better choice if you ever decide to replace the one from Radio Shack. There are certainly many scanner antennas to chose from out there and this is just one suggestion. The most important thing when looking for a scanner antenna is the frequency range. Stay away from CB antennas! CB and scanner antennas can look very similar, but do not go by looks! Do not pick an antenna just because it looks cool. You have to read the specs.

I don't know your financial situation (and I don't want to know!), but if you can swing the $50.00 for the new antenna, I don't think you will regret it. OTOH, you already own the Radio Shack antenna and you can probably make it hold up a little better with some BLUE LocTite on the threads.

Don't lose a lot of sleep over this antenna thing.

So from what you are saying I take it that the best "overall" mag mount antenna for my needs would be the one from ScannerWorld, right? It is shorter, as you mentioned, which is a big plus. Do you think it will have better reception or just as good at least as the RadioShack one I have now? Also, is the magnet strong - or at least stronger than the RadioShack one. Thank you for being so patient with me - I do appreciate it a lot! Sorry if I have been annoying as heck! - which I know I have been :)

As you mentioned before, I do have the RadioShack antenna already. If I stay with that, that may make the most sense. What would you do in my situation - keeping in mind that I want to stay with a mag mount antenna.

Thanks again!

How long are you going to keep beating this dead horse? You asked in another thread, and had all kinds of advice, now you're beating the dead horse again, but this time comparing a Wilson antenna to a R/S antenna. You've asked your questions, gotten your answers, yet you want to keep trolling this topic as if some magic cure-all is going to appear over night.

Please, accept the recommendations that have been given you (or ignore them) but don't keep asking the same questions, merely phrased another way because you are running the people who want to help around in circles, and sooner or later they will see the name, the question and not give advice. Is that what you want?

Take it easy my friend - I am here to ask questions, not to get psych advice from you. Sorry I repeated some threads...but like Scott said, it is the Holiday season. Don't be a grinch! ;)

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I have a RadioShack scanner antenna, model 20-032. Just debating whether I should stay with that or get a better mag mount. I listen to conventional frequencies on my Pro-79 handheld scanner in my car so that is what the antenna would be used for.

Status
Not open for further replies.