Lima Police and Fire > MARCS Transition Imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy_hermit

According to WLIO, Lima PD (and I assume FD) will be moving to MARCS tomorrow morning (May 19). They did quite a bit of testing today, beginning with the daily morning test of FD radios. Lets hope for a smooth transition.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Yes it will be both agencies. As I understand it, the radios are in place in the temp comm room, they just need to make the switch of the phone lines and any other peripheral equipment. ACSO PSAP will handle 911 calls during the move.

Also, don't panic if you no longer hear the LFD 0800 radio test in the future, they are eliminating it.

Mike

grumpy_hermit

Thanks for the heads up on eliminating the morning radio test. I likely would have been wondering why I was missing it.

bucknut937

Premium Subscriber
thanks does anyone know if you will be able to pick them up on the findlay site because that site already broadcasts allen county talkgroups

zac

mdulrich

Feed Provider
thanks does anyone know if you will be able to pick them up on the findlay site because that site already broadcasts allen county talkgroups

zac

Like any other MARCS talkgroups if a radio is affilitated on the Findlay site that has those talkgroups selected, you will be able to hear them. You are probably hearing Allen County TGs because Bluffton PD and/or FD radios are affiliating with the Findlay site.

Mike

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
I find it kind of strange they would make the move to MARCS when they'll be moving to a Temporary Dispatch Center.

WLIO.com - Local News - Setting the Standard for news in West Central Ohio

The Article Suggests they'll be using MARCS while at the temp location. You'd think they would wait until they get back into the renovated dispatch center. This is why it took Findlay so long to switch, they made a lot of updates to their dispatch center (1 to accommodate for MARCS).

grumpy_hermit

I find it kind of strange they would make the move to MARCS when they'll be moving to a Temporary Dispatch Center.
Maybe it allows them to stay on the air with less down time during the move since they can go directly from one working radio system to another.

jackj

Never make more than one update/change to a system at a time. If things get screwed up it will become VERY difficult for people who don't understand all aspects of the system to ID the culprit. This applies to software as well as hardware. Good luck Lima

cfr301

The are using MARC's in the Temp Com room because it was the easiest to install, and when the com center is done the new comms will be Marc's radio's. So they will already be in use when the switch back occurs. Sounds like they are using both systems yet this morning as the switch takes place.

Rick

hoser147

Great job on keepn the info posted. Im kinda in a situation since my son got outa the hospital where I cant have my scanners going 24/7. Haven't even caught any of the Lima traffic yet. Thanks Guys.

cfr301

LPD Dispatch sounds MUCH better today they must have done something to fix the open room issue.

Fire Dept still seems to be on VHF, not sure what thats about.

Rick

grumpy_hermit

LPD Dispatch sounds MUCH better today they must have done something to fix the open room issue.

Fire Dept still seems to be on VHF, not sure what thats about.
Yeah, I heard dispatch ask an officer if they sounded better and the difference was very noticeable. Someone told me that they had been using a headset mic. Some headsets can be pretty low quality so maybe they switched to a better mic.

I reckon that with the way dispatch sounded yesterday, the fire department would have had a terrible time trying to understand them during a working fire with all of the gear they wear and the noise from the equipment. Maybe they decided that it was too dangerous until the issue was addressed.

cfr301

Yeah, I heard dispatch ask an officer if they sounded better and the difference was very noticeable. Someone told me that they had been using a headset mic. Some headsets can be pretty low quality so maybe they switched to a better mic.

I reckon that with the way dispatch sounded yesterday, the fire department would have had a terrible time trying to understand them during a working fire with all of the gear they wear and the noise from the equipment. Maybe they decided that it was too dangerous until the issue was addressed.

I think LFD has some paging issues to the out stations that MARC's had not addressed as of yesterday, on top of the crappy dispatch sound. It will take a bit to shake out but in the end it will get fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.