• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lincoln 2 plus noise in 2018 Chevy Silverado Z71 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC4

Hello all first time here! So I hope this is the right forum to post this.
Ill try to keep this short as possible.
I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado Z71 with a president Lincoln 2+. Francis 6foot Hot rod driver side hood fender mount 18' coax RG8x and wired straight to the battery ground as well. 1.3 SWR most of the time. My problem is, #1-I get like 6 or 7 lights of Static. #2 When I turn my steering wheel Left or right I get even more static and when I turn my wheel my radio also dims a little bit.
My question is should i be running to my fuse box? OR should I try getting a 2nd battery and just running the radio off that? I don't know if its a power issue, a ground issue an Antenna issue or a truck issue. I know these Lincolns can get a bit noisy and I understand that but 7 lights worth? Its like 7 or 8 DB of crap! I've never experienced this with any other Vehicle I have ever owned. Is this what white noise is?

Any help would be great! Thank you

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
My Isuzu has ignition issues making noise so I ran coax from the battery to the radio and ran the power through the rg8x. And no not the antenna coax!I brought it down a bit. In your case sounds like computer issues ties to your 4wd electric differentials that and are you running led head lights they are pretty noisy when they run.
I had electric switchable diffs on my GMC Sierra.
Went to halogen headlight too.
pete N1EXA

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There's a couple of things I'd suggest.

I've installed a lot of radios in similar trucks, but they were all VHF. But the general install practices apply...

Powering the radio directly off the battery is the correct way to do it. Do NOT power it off the fuse block.

Negative power lead should go to a body ground as close to the radio as you can get it. Find a grounding point under the dashboard and connect the negative power lead there.

On some really weird noise issues, I've had luck also grounding the radio chassis directly to body steel as close to the radio as I can. Yes, I know the radio is grounded through the negative lead. A radio chassis to body ground can help.

Make sure all your power wiring is run separate from any existing vehicle wiring as much as possible. There's a lot of CAN BUS stuff in these modern vehicles that can be noisy.

Same with the coaxial cable, make sure it's routed away from other vehicle wiring.

You may want to try moving the antenna to the other side of the vehicle. There are noise sources under the hood and having the antenna close to those could be a problem. Ideally, you want the antenna mounted on the center of the cab roof, but I know that's not always possible. Better ground plane and away from noise sources can really make it worthwhile.

The power steering on those trucks is electric. I think addressing the power wiring as I suggested above may help.

You don't need a second battery for a CB. Wired correctly, you shouldn't have any issues.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
You have received some sage advice from professionals on this and other forums. Do what you can following the professionals' directions, but DON'T downgrade to a magnetically-mounted antenna. You're only asking for mega issues including scratching the paint surface, inferior grounding/bonding issues, and more.

TomLine

Do the lights dim when the antenna is disconnected from the radio?
Is there an electronic box between the battery post and where it is connected to ground?
Have you tried attaching the negative lead to the body near the battery instead of the terminal?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is there an electronic box between the battery post and where it is connected to ground?

These trucks have a hall effect sensor on the negative battery strap that runs from the battery to the chassis. It's there to sense current consumption and adjust alternator output (and thus load on the engine) depending on that current and system voltage.

The owners manual specifically speaks to this and tells you not to connect anything directly to the negative terminal on the battery since it can bypass the hall effect sensor and create issues.

RC4

Do the lights dim when the antenna is disconnected from the radio?
Have you tried attaching the negative lead to the body near the battery instead of the terminal?
I have not tried that yet tbh. My positive wire was connected to a terminal that was between my negative and positive with many other cables going to it as well. I've never seen that before so I moved it to the main positive terminal. Didn't really notice much of a difference on that either. I also did have it grounded in the cab near the dash but i moved it to the battery. Didn't notice any change either. The radio is pretty quiet when the truck is off but when I start it I get tons of static / White noise.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The radio is pretty quiet when the truck is off but when I start it I get tons of static / White noise.

OK, so here's two things you can try:

With the truck running and the radio receiving the noise, try disconnecting the coax at the back of the radio and let me know if the noise stops.

Try disconnecting the power at the radio and connect it directly to a separate 12 volt battery not connected to the truck and let me know if that changes the noise.

RC4

OK, so here's two things you can try:

With the truck running and the radio receiving the noise, try disconnecting the coax at the back of the radio and let me know if the noise stops.

Try disconnecting the power at the radio and connect it directly to a separate 12 volt battery not connected to the truck and let me know if that changes the noise.
Yes when I disconnect the coax the radio goes silent. I have not tried a separate battery yet.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, well, if it goes silent when the antenna is disconnected, that means the noise is getting in your radio via the antenna and/or coaxial cable.

You may need to relocate your antenna and reroute your cable. It's picking up noise from the truck.

RC4

OK, well, if it goes silent when the antenna is disconnected, that means the noise is getting in your radio via the antenna and/or coaxial cable.

You may need to relocate your antenna and reroute your cable. It's picking up noise from the truck.
You're probably right.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I tied in VHF radios off the connection point at the battery, sounds like a similar place you did. We were running more stuff, so the GM snow plow fuse kit added a stud and a 60 amp fuse in a spare slot in that box that sits over the battery. Ran 6 gauge into the cab and fused distribution block in the back. Tied in ground under the rear seat. Didn't have any noise issues on VHF. None of them are running CB's, so not much help there.
They did all have permanent NMO mounts on the roof.

Mounting antennas close to the engine like that can be a source of noise. Might try moving it back on to the bed rail, or better yet, NMO on the roof dead center with something like a Laird C27 or Larsen NMO-27 antenna.

slowmover

Hood (fender) antenna mount just isn’t good for any reason except it was easy to do. Now you partly know WHY.

The other is that it’s poor for TX. It’ll reach directly across the road, but is sorry for up & down the highway. That’s the other part.

RC4

Hood (fender) antenna mount just isn’t good for any reason except it was easy to do. Now you partly know WHY.

The other is that it’s poor for TX. It’ll reach directly across the road, but is sorry for up & down the highway. That’s the other part.
I’ve always used hood mounts they’ve always worked well for me but not so much with his truck. And I’m not really sure where else I could put it. It can’t put it in middle of my hood lol it can’t go on the top of my truck so I’m a bit limited on where I can mount this antenna.

TomLine

Hookup a magnet mount and try different locations?
On another subject? When you turn squelch to manual, does the audio (static) go dead quiet as soon as you move it to squelch "1", even though the meter says 3,5,7 signal strength? ?

RC4

Hookup a magnet mount and try different locations?
On another subject? When you turn squelch to manual, does the audio (static) go dead quiet as soon as you move it to squelch "1", even though the meter says 3,5,7 signal strength? ?
Yes it does!!!!! You had the same problem I take it ?

TomLine

Yes my II+ does the same. However, the squelch of signals does seem to work. If you call them, let us know what they tell you.
I keep volume, power, and squelch pointing straight up, and both mic/rf gain at 75%.
Good luck with the antenna. You'll figure it out. Pictures help.

TomLine

Nice video.
If you set that squelch up past 1, are you still hearing the electrical noise when recieving ? I assume squelch in the video is at manual-0 and as soon as you select manual-1, the audio is squelched? If you run it at like manual-15, are you still dealing with noise?
I've asked President about why their squelch is so different, and can't get any answer out them. Would like to see their real service manual. Pick me up in your truck and we'll drive down there to Florida and ask the guy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.