• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lincoln 2 plus noise in 2018 Chevy Silverado Z71 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC4

So I moved my mount closer to the cab of the truck like how its suppose to be. It’s still on the driver side hood fender mount. I also moved my ground back to inside the truck next to the Raido. Made the ground much shorter as well. Removed the screws that were attached to the mount so now I am only using the fender bolt and washer. The mount is much Better now. Noise got a little better but swr went up a bit. Not sure what to do with the coax yet and it’s not 18 feet it’s 14.

rcarl

I did what you said power going to battery, ground to battery ground chassis’s. When I drive down the street and I get near an intersection holy crap the noise is horrible! At least 8db. When the truck is off tho it’s not all that bad. I wish I could figure this out but I know these radios are noisy. I’m at the point now where I think nothing I do can fix this.
The noise might be from the LED lights when they are turned on.

RC4

The noise might be from the LED lights when they are turned on.
You’re right my lights do cause some of my noise. I just moved my mount closer to my cab like how I see most chevys have it. my swr went up a bit and it almost seems I’m not getting out the same as before. I’m about ready to just bag the whole radio thing. Maybe my truck just wasn’t built for a radio. It seems that why more and more everyday. Just tired of it

RC4

You’re right my lights do cause some of my noise. I just moved my mount closer to my cab like how I see most chevys have it. my swr went up a bit and it almost seems I’m not getting out the same as before. I’m about ready to just bag the whole radio thing. Maybe my truck just wasn’t built for a radio. It seems that why more and more everyday. Just tired of it

slowmover

Install Guide

I can promise my problems were greater in both number and severity installing a radio rig in a composite-body Class 8 tractor. Four (4) different ones the past seven years. Where I wanted MORE than mediocre performance.

Take heart that plenty of other guys gritted their teeth and went on a hunt for the problems.

Or maybe it’s easier to consider that there was no coincidence nor mistake in the impetus to have a good mobile rig. “Not an accident”.

Both of those fit me. Beyond needing one while at work.

RC4

Not sure why the picture is sideways but whatever. You get the idea of where I have my antenna now and i don’t think it’s a very good spot.

Attachments

• 68B42ABB-CDBB-4B66-A8AC-E230B4F72872.jpeg
    68B42ABB-CDBB-4B66-A8AC-E230B4F72872.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 17

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In response the "Maybe my truck just wasn’t built for a radio." statement, not sure why you are thinking that. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of these trucks on the road with CB or LMR radios installed in them all working fine. I've installed many commercial and ham radios in these model trucks and never had an issue. GM even offers trucks like this specifically setup for public safety use where radios will be installed.
GM, Ford, Dodge combined have the vast majority of the full size pickup market. They are used by many federal, state and local agencies that are all running two way radios in them. The manufacturers know this, and they specifically test the vehicles for performance with radios, and publish documents describing how to properly install equipment. If there was an inherent issue with the designs of these trucks that created issues for two way radio use, they'd be all over it.
One thing they don't have control over is after market equipment and where the end user installs the antenna.

I've suggested, several times, that you try moving the antenna away from the engine. By that, I mean, moving it behind the cab. I haven't seen that you've tried that. Your choice, but I think you are struggling with an issue that may be easily fixed. Not sure why you want to keep banging your head into the wall on this one...

RC4

In response the "Maybe my truck just wasn’t built for a radio." statement, not sure why you are thinking that. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of these trucks on the road with CB or LMR radios installed in them all working fine. I've installed many commercial and ham radios in these model trucks and never had an issue. GM even offers trucks like this specifically setup for public safety use where radios will be installed.
GM, Ford, Dodge combined have the vast majority of the full size pickup market. They are used by many federal, state and local agencies that are all running two way radios in them. The manufacturers know this, and they specifically test the vehicles for performance with radios, and publish documents describing how to properly install equipment. If there was an inherent issue with the designs of these trucks that created issues for two way radio use, they'd be all over it.
One thing they don't have control over is after market equipment and where the end user installs the antenna.

I've suggested, several times, that you try moving the antenna away from the engine. By that, I mean, moving it behind the cab. I haven't seen that you've tried that. Your choice, but I think you are struggling with an issue that may be easily fixed. Not sure why you want to keep banging your head into the wall on this one...
I understand what you’re saying i really do but moving it behind my cab might help with noise or it might not but one thing it will do is mess with my receive even more. I’ve always read behind the cab is one of the worse spots for an antenna. If I wanted to end all of this hassle I’d just mount it on my roof but my wife would divorce me if I did that. I think I’m screwed either way! But I really did try to figure this out! Just nothing wanted to work for me. I think I’ll put it back where it was on the fender and just deal with the noise. Owell
Thanks for all the help! All of you out here have been amazing!
My truck just sucks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’ve always read behind the cab is one of the worse spots for an antenna.

You don't have to mount it directly behind the cab, you can move it down the bed rail a bit. The goal is to see if the noise resolves by moving it away from the engine/computers. If it works, then deal with the permanent mount.

And I was told the same thing, and believed it. A wise member on this site pointed out that since the cab is below 1/4 wavelength tall, that it will essentially be invisible to the antenna. Moral of the story is, be careful what you believe from the CB crowd. Some of it is legit, some of it is B.S.

RC4

You don't have to mount it directly behind the cab, you can move it down the bed rail a bit. The goal is to see if the noise resolves by moving it away from the engine/computers. If it works, then deal with the permanent mount.

And I was told the same thing, and believed it. A wise member on this site pointed out that since the cab is below 1/4 wavelength tall, that it will essentially be invisible to the antenna. Moral of the story is, be careful what you believe from the CB crowd. Some of it is legit, some of it is B.S.
I just know moving it from where it was to where it is now made my swr go up quite a bit from 1.3 to 1.8 and my receive is really weird now. I hear some stations better than before and others much worse. I’ve always had my antennas on the fender driver side and it’s always worked great! Where it is now I think the cab is messing with my receive and transmit. I wish I could find someone here in Oregon that could actually help me with this. I’ve also tried different antennas but nothing has really helped. I do have a skip shooter antenna that gives me a much better swr than my Francis but like I said it’s actually really weird as far as my receive goes. Also something I noticed where my antenna is now when I get near a building or structure my swr goes almost flat and I can hear everything! **** is really weird

RC4

Put a Stryker A10 mag mount on my wife’s 4 runner TRD PRO and the noise is gone! Haha

Attachments

• 629735B9-5022-4EAE-A2E9-488B6417D82F.jpeg
    629735B9-5022-4EAE-A2E9-488B6417D82F.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.